Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a major problem, it doesn’t run. For starters it doesn’t need the tender pickups because when I try to run it it’s lights turn on and somewhat moves.

Does anyone know the problem?

·
Registered
503 Posts
It sounds dirty inside. I got a steamer that acted exactly like you described. I did a thorough cleaning all the way down to the motor. I then oiled the gears. Now it runs flawlessly.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
This is one of those cases where a video is a lot more effective than the written word. Steam locos, especially those with a lot of drivers, are tricky to service. I'd recommend searching YouTube for a video tutorial.

Also, unless you are fully acquainted with the wiring diagram, don't assume it doesn't need the tender pickups. If the loco was designed to have them, then it's best to use them.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
In case what CTV has replied isn't sufficiently worrisome to give you pause, consider that you might end up completely dismantling the locomotive to the point where you can clean all rotating/oscillating parts and their supporting surfaces/bearings/bushings. Part of that more comprehensive process includes removing the entire driver and rod assembly which must be in perfect alignment and properly 'quartered' when you go to reinstall all of it. All axles must be fully restored and seated in their bearings....but also quartered at the same time. It's not a process you'll accomplish in one hour.

It could very well be that you're fully capable, and also confident, that you have the experience and skills to pull this off, and I'm not in a position to disagree. But, I strongly suggest you take multiple close-up images of each process you undertake, each item you remove, from at least two different angles, so that you can put it all back together again properly. I recently did that for an antique brass clockworks, and am I ever glad I thought to take a few snaps during the process.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Look at the coupler bar beteween loco and tender. If the coupler bar on the loco has a spring wire across the hole where the tender hook fits then the tender is required for pickup.
The spring wire makes a contact with the tender hook more secure.
The coupler bar spring wire sometimes breaks or is bent so it does not make contact with the tender hook.
This may be the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts