Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the hobby. Actually, I have only decided to be new to the hobby. I played with HO trains when I was a kid, but I am about to start in earnest. I have a very nice, large room in the loft of my garage to do whatever layout I may want.

I do not expect to be too heavy into diorama, but rather concentrate on layout, and operations.

What peice of advice can each of you offer that you consider to be the most important thing to do or remember as I enter the hobby?

I think I have decided on the following points:

HO Scale
DCC

My plan is to simply acquire equipment for a while, as I can on the cheap. Used, auctions, garage sales, craigslist, etc.

I don't think I care that much about lighting or sound in the DCC arena, but I am pretty vague on how all the interfaces work.

I work as a mechanical engineer as a vocation, and have a solid grasp of electric. The computer and electronic stuff I am not a solid on.

Recommend equipment, track, models, loco's something you learned the hard way. Whatever. I am a dry sponge.

Fire away.

Thanks in advance!

Jabba

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Start simple, and plan for growth. Get one track running asap. That way you can watch the trains go by as you work on the rest.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,795 Posts
Welcome to MTF Jabba!
You are in a unique position. You have room and have an idea. The best thing now is look for a layout / collection and buy the lot. This happens on Craiglists, but to be smart about it you have to know about it's value. There will always be second hand small stuff, I am talking 3 figures. Find something in HO and DCC. They are not common but they happen. One yardsale had such a setup 27 by 16 The guy worked on it for 20 years. It sold for 1200.It wasn't complete but by far the largest I have seen with plenty of potential.So put the word out maybe talk to realators. They may know of one an owner wants to sell before the house does.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you have kids, then by all means, make them part of it. That way, all can enjoy, and you have someone with the passion you do, to carry it on.

I would say, IMHO, that by buying quality components like (Athern, Atlas, Rivarossi, Bachman) etc, you will have more fun in the end. Cheaper items tend to cost less, but add to the headache later.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Listen to the people here they have helped me tons! They really know what they are talking about and are very nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Download track layout software. I used Atlas freeware version which was easy (and free) but I know there are others as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts