Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really getting a bad feeling in my stomach about buying anything from China ever again. They are responsible for this situation and it makes me question if this was deliberate by them.

I just invested a pile of money in an addition for a hobby room(s) and the thought of buying more "Made in China" does not feel right. I believe that American companies should get their tooling out and find someplace else to make them. Considering the cost/quality issues I am hearing about with new Lionel stuff it just does not make sense. I could probably go with Postwar from now on. I have plenty of FastTrack though I had been considering Ross for the look, I wonder where their stuff is made. I have PW and modern engines and cars already, switching back to just PW would not be hat hard.

I also have some Z and G Christmas trains but those are from Germany.

And then I have N and HO. Now I don't know if I will ever get to the HO. I have to make some choices at some point. The N was going to be first anyway. I've gotten away from cheap engines, though I have some that do work. I've been picking up Kato and BLI engines and rolling stock. It would be great if the Kato was made in Japan, I'm starting to love their stuff. But everything it seems is Chinese.

I also build models and I know a lot are manufactured in China. OTOH I have more that I will ever build and when I get started I will have to decide where to go on that. Age and vision are telling me larger scales so I have quite a bit of smaller kits to get rid of and I really don't ever have to buy another one. The injection molding has been farmed out to other countries so maybe.

But frankly I would love to see the Chicoms driven into the dirt and the peasants rise up and kill their emperors. Yes Communism is just a modern word for the old feudal system.

After all, this is just a hobby. I don't really need it. I intend to send email to all the manufacturers stating this feelings more succinctly. I know BLI was trying to blame Trump when the tariffs were going on. What you're siding with the Chicoms over our President?

Oh and having given the contractor 1/3 up front and getting it approved by the county we are now on hold because the county won't send inspectors,

I am 60 with cardiac issues and diabetes. My poor wife has an anxiety attack every time she goes to the store, she's afraid she's gonna get it and give it to me.

I say, people like me should isolate. PUT THE DAMN COUNTRY BACK TO WORK.

Frank

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Have you given thought to building a European railroad based in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland?

Roco is still made in Austria, and some rolling stock is made in Romania and Czech Republic (if that's what they're calling it this year), and Bemo is all manufactured in Germany. Other brands I'm not certain of, but there are many, many selections of locomotives and rolling stock available from these two manufacturers.

You could even build narrow gauge in either HOe for Austria or HOm for Switzerland.

Most structure manufacturers are also located in Germany with production in-country.

It's a sure way to keep your money from going to China, and makes for a great and quite a bit different railroad.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Well, don't go shopping at Walmart....a whole lot of what they sell is made in China.....the dollar stores too......

Don't forget, a lot of Chinese died as well, long before it got to this continent.... do you think they deliberately killed their own people with the virus just so they could spread it here?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, 3M said on Friday that it recently received approval to send over 10 million N95 respirator masks from its facilities in China to the US. Wouldn't want to use those now, would you....

As for making trains back here......it was the capitalist companies that decided to move the manufacturing over there, so they could pay cheaper wages and make even more money.....I don't imagine they want to have to pay more for labor here and make less money now, do you?

Can you spell paranoid.....I knew you could......

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
While my and a friend's wives shopped in Hobby Lobby a few years ago, he and I roamed the store looking for something made in America. 99% of what we saw was Chinese-made. A few other countries showed up a couple times. We found, in the whole store, one item made in USA...some artificial flowers. Not all the flowers, mind you, but just a small bin of them. It was a depressing and educational trip to that store.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Not to mention the devices that we use to access this forum.....or to text someone.....it all comes down to how much money the big companies and corporations can make off of us.....

We either live with it, or.....we don't.....

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'll bet most of your medicine comes from China as well.

The Chinese can be blamed for this pandemic as much as they can be blamed for distracted driving while using a smart phone. They make much of those devices as well, if not all of their components in a few cases.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The Chinese "are responsible for this situation and it makes me wonder if it was deliberate by them."

The first case of the virus in the USA and also South Korea occurred the same day, 1/20/20. South Korea immediately went into testing, social distancing and shelter in place and minimized the infections. The USA did not and in fact downplayed the virus. It seems to me "this situation" in our country is in the way the initial response was handled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.