Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve made a couple of posts about making my own form of the dapol track cleaning car but I finally made a reliable working unit. I started with a stripped down cast chassis bachman ft loco painted in the Santa Fe warbonnet scheme. I took apart all the gearing and made it a dummy locomotive so it would roll good for me and then I milled out room for the motor I chose. Once I chose the cheap eBay motor I wanted I checked the dimension of the dapol track polishing pad. (They have sanding pads but not happening on my railroad. I like my track too much) I found that if I drilled a 3/4” hole in the bottom of the frame the pad would fit up in the hole. I drilled the hole to 3/4” and then I mounted the motor vertically to spin the pad. Once I set the correct headspace on the motor I did a dcc install on the track cleaner. After this was accomplished I tested it and it worked awesome. I’m almost tempted to try to figure out how to make a YouTube video so others can make their own as well. I found the shorter the wheel base the better with this because you need to keep the pad as centered on the tracks as possible. When I tested it I chose to give a few places on my track a wipe down with mineral spirits and ran trains for a few to spread the mineral spirits around. Ran my new track cleaner and my railheads are spotless now. If anyone decides to make one and has questions feel free to ask and I’ll get measurements or whatever is needed!

Attachments

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s been all over my layout now through every turnout and everything. It works great! I would normally just run the dapol car but the electric motor is way under powered so that’s why I made my own

1 - 7 of 7 Posts