Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for a dumb question
Ed,

I'm not a model railroader - but I recently came into possession of a Lionel #455 Oil Well. I want to power it for a display using either batteries or an AC/DC converter. I found a reference to the Oil Well, and it says it uses 12-14V, which comes from the transformer. My question is: is the voltage from the transformer AC or DC?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Houston
Palm Coast, FL

You can reply directly to me: [email protected]

I wonder why he picked me out directly?
He joined just to ask me something?:dunno:
He posted no other posts.

His question> My question is: is the voltage from the transformer AC or DC?

Hmmmmm, is this a test?:rolleyes:
Well I guess it would all depend on what transformer he has, right?:rolleyes:
I think the 455 runs on AC but I am not sure as I never had one.

I wonder why he didn't ask someone else?
What do all you think?:cool:

If anyone knows for sure you can e mail him if you want, tell him Big Ed sent you.:D
Jim Houston.....I wonder if he works with the space shuttles?:laugh:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Ed, I think it's obvious....he recognized that you were the Alpha male on this site and respectfully approached you, first.:stroke:
As for the derrick, IMHO, it would get it's power from the dc side of the transformer---that way, the power would stay on regardless of what is done with the speed control on the tranny.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed, I think it's obvious....he recognized that you were the Alpha male on this site and respectfully approached you, first.:stroke:
As for the derrick, IMHO, it would get it's power from the dc side of the transformer---that way, the power would stay on regardless of what is done with the speed control on the tranny.
I don't really know I never had one.

The T man would know.:D

·
Yard Master & Research
10,647 Posts
The production year was 1952 TO 54. AC was king. Bridge rectifiers were too large to use. BUT if the motor was changed to one with magnets! Then it would use DC. Normally any coil wound motor is AC. These motors do work on DC also. DC didn't become popular for 027 until 1970. HO on the other hand was DC early on. In the old transformers, the rectifiers didn't last. That is one reason I do not reccommend older equipment being used with modern electronics.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 7 of 7 Posts