Model Train Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Kenny, you got me curious so I pulled out the specs on my 1969's. I had never heard of an M22 with a 3.28 first gear. The Olds M20 had a 2.52 1st gear, that was the tranny I had. The Olds M22 used a 2.20 1st gear, with the remaining ratio's of 1.64, 1.28 and 1.0. For 1/8th mile racing wouldn'd the better choice be to put in a 4.56 rear end ratio? Then try both the straight up and 4 deg advance to see which gives the quickest times. Have fun!
As a follow up to our Muncie discussion, all Muncie 4 speeds whether M20, M21, or M22 had the same gear ratios you listed. The M22 had less helix, straighter angles, on the gears to reduce thrust loading on the gears which reduced heat and therefore cut down on horse power loss. Plus all the M22 gears were shot peened. Of course they had bigger everything inside. Also because of the reduction in gear helix cut there was the notorious whine which could only be heard in a stock production car. You certainly never heard it in a drag race car. I also misspoke on the 1st gear ratio. It was a 2.78 first gear. This M22 was custom built so the first 3 gears are all different from the factory. I had a Doug Nash 5 speed in the Pro Stocker. It had a 3.28 1st gear. That is where I got that number from. Too many numbers, and too little memory. Sorry about the confusion. Somewhere I have a complete gear break down of the Doug Nash. I changed gears in it at the race track more than once. It was no big deal because of the way the transmission was designed strictly for racing although I'm sure somebody has used on the street.

Kenny

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Kenny, I do remember the whine in a M22. I liked it. You knew it was something different.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The M22's had an audible whine. I also recall they required at least a 3.91 ratio differential be ordered so the result was not an economy car.
When I read the post above an old memory, maybe faulty, surfaced. I think the standard wide ratio 4 speed in the 442 with the 2.52 1st gear was a Saginaw, not a Muncie. The later Doug Nash 5spd's were the ones to retrofit. The 442 also used the older B-O-P rear ends with the bolt in rear axles. They were HiPo versions with thicker axles and stronger splines. That is why the axle ratios are slightly different from the Chevy's with 12 bolt rear ends and C clip axles. 3.42 vs 3.55 as an example.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Loved that whine!! My buddy's 65 tri-power GTO had that wonderful whine, as well as the 67 GTO we street raced.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts