Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dug this life- like engine out of another box. I set up a test track and it run fairly smooth and then stunk up the room like burning wire. I cleaned the brushes, it might have helped a touch but still stinks. I like the smell of burnt diesel but not wires. Any ideas?
Motor vehicle Sleeve Rectangle Font Train
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel
Hood Sleeve Circuit component Rectangle Wrist

·
Registered
850 Posts
All of my pancake motors stink. Even the the that run relatively well (given what they are). I'm still new to this hobby, but I would say if there isn't any sign of damage or excess heat, keep running it. Could just be a little oil cooking off the motor, or just the way it is. Run with the shell off and see if you can find a source maybe. But again, of there is no smoke or signs of damage/ heat...???

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Those old motors take more current that the latest models.
But, sometimes they are too greedy with the current.

Use your multimeter set to AMPS. Connect one lead from
power pack to test track...connect other power pack lead
to one multimeter lead...connect other multimeter lead
to test track...

With only the loco on the track,
slowly turn up speed control and note the amp readout.
It should be less than one amp. If it is, the motor is
likely ok.

If the reading is more than a fraction of an amp, does
the motor shaft turn freely, and does the gear train
turn freely.

Feel of the motor (carefully). Does it feel quite hot?

Don

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
What does that mean???

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,760 Posts
It is a Stinker, :)

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
It's good news that the motor is not running
hot...you are probably smelling the commutator
sparking...those old motors do that. Don't think
you have an electrical problem though.

Don

·
Registered
39 Posts
I periodically pull out a pancake motor engine and run it just for the smell. That was the smell of Christmas 1959. When I got into the hobby several years ago I was disappointed in my engines as they did not have the smell. Guess I got lucky and got some half way decent engines to start with.

Was not until I bought a lot of junk engines which had some life like and Bachmann pancake motors did I finally get that 1959 Christmas smell. Those were the days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pulled it completely apart, cleaned everything up, runs great, not so stinky, can live with it.
I periodically pull out a pancake motor engine and run it just for the smell. That was the smell of Christmas 1959. When I got into the hobby several years ago I was disappointed in my engines as they did not have the smell. Guess I got lucky and got some half way decent engines to start with.

Was not until I bought a lot of junk engines which had some life like and Bachmann pancake motors did I finally get that 1959 Christmas smell. Those were the days.
I know what you mean about Christmas smell, to me it’s the fresh smell of enamel on tonka and nylint dump
trucks exc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's good news that the motor is not running
hot...you are probably smelling the commutator
sparking...those old motors do that. Don't think
you have an electrical problem though.

Don
I think your right don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts