Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this G35 from Mr. Muffin at York on Friday. Tried to add it, but I keep getting the NO ENGINE TO ADD message. A few times I got the CHECK TRACK, followed in a few seconds by the ENGINE ERROR message. Track voltage is 18.5. Loco switches are set to 3RAIL and DCS. I deleted another loco and it added back in first try. This is the first loco I have gotten from Mr. Muffin. Hope they have good customer service.

Forgot to mention that I cleaned the wheels and pickups. Also, this is on a test track and the only think the TIU sees.

IMG_4403.JPG

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Adding deleting the other engine was a good idea. I guess this is a PS/3 loco.

I use a test track to add my engines to my remote. The few times I received a “no add” fault was when I has the wires going to the track, crossed between the transformer and the tiu. Obviously you eliminated that possibility.

Does it run conventional? Did it charge for a couple minutes before trying to add? Maybe one of the setting switches is wired backwards. Cycle them and try again.

Tom

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. It's a PS3 from the 2018V2 catalog. Seems to run OK in conventional, but could not add it no matter how the switches were arranged.

Signal strength is 10.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Make sure track is clean.

I found this...

“ try to recover the engine's DCS ID#, which may have moved out of the useable range:

You must be using DCS 4.10 or higher
Make sure that no other engines are powered up
Make sure that your TIU has an ID# of "1"
Press Menu/System/Engine Setup/Recover Engine.

If the engine is recovered, attempt to add it to the DCS Remote.”

Tom

·
Admin
43,467 Posts
First off, I'd move the engine to a single chunk of track with about 30 feet of wire from the track to the TIU. If you can arrange it, try using DC through a fixed channel on the TIU to that test track.

If you can't find it there, it's broken.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Something I found out with DCS, it's best to add them when they are the only locomotive on the track. Otherwise I get the same error messages you're getting.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I was talking to Steve at York and he mentioned they test every engine before shipping it out. Not sure thats true in every case since I know some are dropped shipped from his distributor. In any event I believe he will make this right if you don't figure out the problem.

Pete

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maxum - Yes. The loco is the only thing on the test track. The only engine the TIU sees.

Tom - Engine recovery didn't work.

John - I have about 20' of 18 gauge wire between the TIU and test track and I'm using Fixed1. I hooked up my antique MRC rectifier (17 VDC) to the TIU Fixed1 IN. No luck.

When I power the remote back up, I get this screen. I think I remember seeing that screen before and it led to a remedy, but I don't recall.

IMG_4417.JPG

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried Fixed2. Got the NO ENGINE TO ADD message.

I pushed the START UP button with the screen at address 1 (as in the photo above) and the loco started. Some functions worked (DIR, soft keys, BELL, W/H) and the loco would move, but some functions (smoke on/off) didn't. Tried to delete engine from address 1, but that one doesn't show up.

I have a spare TIU and remote. I may try to see if I can add it to those.

But I have some outside stuff to get done, so I'll probably try that tomorrow when rain is expected.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As long as its in the remote assigned to address 1 it prolly wont add. You'll have to delete 1 and add it again. Mine does that sometimes where it gives me the address but no name

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can use address 1 all you want but if you're trying to add the loco and get the name and functionality, you will have to delete it from the remote and re-add it. It probably wont add to the remote if its in under address one since its already in there.

Sometimes with PS3 locos, I get an add engine issue if the loco im adding already has an address assigned to it that is being used by a loco already in the remote

·
Registered
178 Posts
Adding a locomotive that has a number already in the remote should simply renumber the new locomotive.
Operative word being "should" but I've seen DCS do things it shouldn't do and not do things it should do. Does your DCS system work perfectly every time?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For some reason, on my remote, the lowest address that shows up in the engine list is 3. I may just start using my spare TIU and Remote. The TIU that's currently installed needs work anyway due to a problem with the VAR1 channel.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts