Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Save it using the consumer loader. Right? I haven’t used that for a while, but I have been meaning to save the remote data. I’ll have to refresh my memory on how to use it. It will be easier than loading 35 engines back into a remote one by one. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I backed up the remote, cleared it and restored it. Seemed a lot easier than the last time I did it (in 2015). But it didn’t do me any good. The engine list was exactly what it was before with the list going no lower than 3. Tried adding the GP35 and got NO ENGINE TO ADD.

I cleared the remote and tried again with the same results. Then I put a different engine (an SW1) on the test track and it added right away, but it added to address 11 (it’s old address before the remote was cleared) where I thought it should have been address 1 since the remote was empty.

I tried again using my new remote. The SW1 added right in (again to address 11), but the GP35 would not add.

Since the SW1 remembered it’s old address, I’m thinking the GP35 remembered it was halfway in address 1.

·
Admin
43,464 Posts
If a DCS engine has an address, and that address is empty in the remote, it'll occupy it's old address. If that address is already used, then the engine will be assigned a new address, I believe the lowest one available.

The fact that it doesn't go lower than address #3 suggests an issue with the DCS Remote. However, since the other DCS engines add, that one seems to have a problem. So, in summary, you have two broken devices. ;)

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Actually, three broken devices. The old TIU, the old remote and the new loco.

1. I knew the TIU had a problem with an FET (since you suggested that in a previous thread), but just to add to my blues, when I took it off its mount, I heard a rattling noise. A piece of plastic had broken off one of the components. It’s never been mishandled so I thought it strange that it would break.

2. The remote has always worked fine except the disappearing addresses. I lost 1 some time ago and later lost 2. But it still adds locos (except the GP35) and does everything else it’s supposed to.

3. The GP35. I was hoping that it would show up again at address 1 on the display as in the above photo. Then maybe I could try to do a factory reset, but I’ve tried several times with the new TIU and both remotes with no luck.

IMG_4420.JPG

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Maybe the old remote is not broken after all.

I did a factory reset on the SW1. Then reset the old remote. Then added the SW. It went to address 1.

So you are right John. I have 2 broken devices.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That stinks. MTH stuff is usually pretty reliable.

Are you getting a replacement? Seems Mr Muffin would pay the shipping. I buy from them too and they seem to have a good business ethic.

Tom

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It does stink. Makes me not want to buy engines at train shows.

I may get a replacement. Haven’t decided yet. Mr. Muffin’s return policy is “The manufacturers do not pay for return shipping, so it is your responsibility to cover it. Once repaired or replaced under warranty, we will return the product to you at no cost to you.” I can kind of understand that. Their prices are low so there probably isn’t much margin for them. But since they sold me a defective product, I’m not happy about it. Maybe if I had an established relationship with them, they might have paid both ways. Then I would have had it repaired.

Another internet dealer I have bought quite a bit from did send me a return authorization shipping label for a problem product so they will get the bulk of my on-line engine buys.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It doesn’t seem right if the engine was no good. I hate the way dealers don’t back up what they sell.

I have had a few engines that didn’t run, but I hate returning stuff, so I try to fix it with a lot of help from people here at this forum. Usually used stuff, but I have had issues with new Lionel engines that took a lot of tweaking to get them right.

I hope everything turns out to your advantage in the end.

Tom

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I got a replacement at Nicholas Smith. Same engine with a different cab number. It cost me more than the one I got at York, but it works and if it stops working during the warranty period, Nicholas Smith is just a twenty minute drive away.

This loco has too much turbo whine, but not as bad as the F7. Other than the turbo whine, I like it.

IMG_4430.JPG

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yep. I turn them down sometimes. The F7 is so annoying, I sometimes turn them off completely. The horn and bell still work even with the engine sounds off.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts