Model Train Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yep. I turn them down sometimes. The F7 is so annoying, I sometimes turn them off completely. The horn and bell still work even with the engine sounds off.
That's one of the nice things about DCS. You can set individual volumes for the different sounds.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Nice looking locomotive. I am glad it worked out for you after all your trouble with the engine.

It has great lines and the details really stand out with that paint scheme.

May your locomotive live long and prosper! Lol

Tom

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I’ve got the blues again. This time it’s a B&O F7 (20-20606-1). This loco was in my old remote before I reset it. I’ve run it, but not too much since I like my B&O C-Liner better (and the F7 whines too much). Three other engines loaded first time, but this guy is stubborn. Starts up in conventional but doesn’t seem to want to go anywhere. In fact, a few times on the test track it started in conventional so it’s not always seeing the watchdog. Engine recovery didn’t work. Tried cleaning the wheels. They were surprisingly filthy for something with only a few miles. No joy. I think it will be taking a trip to my friendly neighborhood MTH ASC Certified Tech.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Doesn't the L on the screen signify that it is in Lash-up mode ? Seems that when I have some locos in Lash-up mode the L appears on the screen.

Bill

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
John - I always load new engines on a dedicated track where the TIU sees nothing else. I tried everything with the F7 that I tried with the GP-35 except using DC and using fixed 2. I don't thing those will work.

Bill - That screen was for the GP-35. For the F7 I got nothing except NO ENGINE WAS FOUND.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I didn't check that because it added before and ran fine. But I just checked and both the DCS and 2rail/3rail switches are correct.

I'll send you an email.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Would have been nice if something that simple fixed it, but exercising the switches didn’t help. I also pulled the lid to see if there was a misplaced wire killing the signal as Gary mentioned in post #26. Looks OK to me.

IMG_4741.JPG

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes. 20-20606-1, delivered July 2016. But I got it from Pat's Trains and I figure the fix is probably simple for an ASC tech. Probably cost less than shipping to/from Columbia, MD or Wheeling, WV.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Here’s the MTH policy.

All items returned to M.T.H. for repair will be considered an Out-of-Warranty repair if that item was NOT returned within five years from the month and year of manufacture.

I’ll give it to you on Saturday. If you find it’s a bad board, I’ll talk to Pat about sending it back to him.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I picked up my TIU and B&O F-7 yesterday.

On the TIU, John replaced the bridge and the FET's in Variable #1.

The engine had a balky DCS/DCC switch. After John cleaned it up and reseated the connector on the PS/3 board, all was well. He had it done about a month ago, but I asked him to install the sound file from Railking B&O E-8 (30-20177-1) from 2013V2. That’s the only B&O covered wagon I found on YouTube that had decent sound. The F-7 had a shrill ear-piercing blower whine at speed that I couldn’t stand. The E-8 sound file is much better. You can hear some blower noise, but it’s much more subdued. One thing I wasn’t expecting was to hear the two E-8 engines starting up individually. My EL RK E-8 doesn’t have that. This engine will get a lot more run time now that it doesn’t hurt my ears.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts