Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea how I got it.

Tuesday morning, woke up at 5 am to pee. Upon opening my eyes, I swallowed - slightly sore throat. By the time I was back in bed, it was gone.

Wednesday late evening, began coughing every minute with phlegm. Slept well enough.

Thursday, the cough continued through 1 pm on Thursday. Then it died down to once an hour or so. Normal for me as I'm a smoker. In the afternoon I began a Z-Pack antibiotic as a precaution against a bacterial pneumonia infection.

Friday, middle of the night. Woke up and I could feel what one self-quarantined politician described as "A belt tightened around my chest." It's just a feeling. It did not stop me from taking full deep breaths. That faded away. This morning morning my only symptom is a slight "burning" in my upper torso - lungs.

More to come ...

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
We're supposed to self-quarantine, not self-diagnose. Get tested! Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So maybe it's "just" the flu.....?

Do you have a fever?
Don't know. I haven't had a thermometer around for decades. And the local pharmacy was out of stock. I've had the flu. That fever gives you sweats and chills. I haven't experienced that.

Right now I feel fine. If I didn't have the previous symptoms, I would not suspect anything was wrong.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems there are a lot of folks who think they are so tough, the virus won't bother them.
News for ya tough guy, unless you can stick your finger in acid and not have your finger dissolve you need to do everything you can to avoid this virus. This thing eats your lung cells and they don't grow back.

This animated video explains how the virus effects the human tissue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=488&v=BtN-goy9VOY&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=Kurzgesagt–InaNutshell
Well, I already have it so prevention is out-the-window.

Some recover with nary a symptom. Others are dying. I'm paying attention to my own body. I will recognize when to go to the hospital if my condition deteriorates.

There's no medicine to fight it. My doctor gave me a Z-pack as a preventative measure against a possible bacterial pneumonia infection.

What else can one do?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I don't believe they will test me. The testing facilities are limited and I don't meet either of the two conditions for testing: Traveled out of the country or had contact with a confirmed case.

No law against lying.
Tell them you were in Mexico, Canada, NYC, or somewhere else.
You live in a pretty bad area for this virus.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would not assume you have it, with just those symptoms. A lot of flue and other things going around too.
Could have been a short lived cold that brought on the extreme coughing. If it was the Flu, I would have been in bed with aches and a higher fever - sweats and chills as I experienced last year. Or perhaps the same strain of Flu and my antibodies fought it off quickly.

But it was the tightness in the chest as reported by others that pointed to Corona. If I don't get worse from here on out, that's great (feel fine now). I'll have built up the antibodies. Though a friend said you can get it again, two different strains. Not sure about that.

But you have a point. I need to find out if I have it or not. I can;t assume I had it and are now immune. In the absences of a relapse I'll wait until testing is common place.

I normally work from home. So right now it's business as usual while watching for symptoms.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Could have been a short lived cold that brought on the extreme coughing. If it was the Flu, I would have been in bed with aches and a higher fever - sweats and chills as I experienced last year. Or perhaps the same strain of Flu and my antibodies fought it off quickly.

But it was the tightness in the chest as reported by others that pointed to Corona. If I don't get worse from here on out, that's great (feel fine now). I'll have built up the antibodies. Though a friend said you can get it again, two different strains. Not sure about that.

But you have a point. I need to find out if I have it or not. I can;t assume I had it and are now immune. In the absences of a relapse I'll wait until testing is common place.

I normally work from home. So right now it's business as usual while watching for symptoms.
In your area, testing is pretty commonplace now. You still need a doctor's recommendation, but they've relaxed the criteria for who can get tested in the last week.

You need a doctor to listen to your lungs, though. If he hears congestion, he will recommend you for testing.

No points for being a hero. Call your doctor.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Why did you post a title like that if you got better ?! You obviously didn't have thee virus or you wouldn't be saying "more to come"...
There's an old story which deals with this kind of news: "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have no idea how I got it.

Tuesday morning, woke up at 5 am to pee. Upon opening my eyes, I swallowed - slightly sore throat. By the time I was back in bed, it was gone.

Wednesday late evening, began coughing every minute with phlegm. Slept well enough.

Thursday, the cough continued through 1 pm on Thursday. Then it died down to once an hour or so. Normal for me as I'm a smoker. In the afternoon I began a Z-Pack antibiotic as a precaution against a bacterial pneumonia infection.

Friday, middle of the night. Woke up and I could feel what one self-quarantined politician described as "A belt tightened around my chest." It's just a feeling. It did not stop me from taking full deep breaths. That faded away. This morning morning my only symptom is a slight "burning" in my upper torso - lungs.

More to come ...
Do you have your own DR.
How long ago was last visit to him/her?
Are you on cholesterol medicine?
How long have you smoked? Years.
Do you have sweat spells in upper chest and upper back?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have your own DR.
How long ago was last visit to him/her?
Are you on cholesterol medicine?
How long have you smoked? Years.
Do you have sweat spells in upper chest and upper back?
No PCP. My boss is a Doc. He prescribed the Z-pac. Wouldn't let me into the office as they're not prepared for general patients (back surgeon).

I take no med.'s for any malady.

Been smoking for 45 years.

No sweat or chills., that tells me any fever is mild if at all.

I figure the next few days will be critical as it seems the timeline for severe symptoms is about 5 to 7 days. So I'll wait and see. Things get bad, I'm off to the hospital. If not, I'll get tested when it's convenient to know for sure.

As I mentioned, the symptoms, albeit slight, are inline with the virus, especially the "belt around my chest" feeling I briefly experienced. Never had that feeling before, ever.

I'm pretty hale for my age. And I eat right. One of my neighbors calls me "Tarzan".

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hard to say really without a test. Coworker "had it" for sure. All symptoms, plus known vector (recent trip to hot spot area in europe). Green-lit for a test -- came back negative! Largely cleared up that can be determined over the speaker.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts