Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hard to say really without a test. ...
I agree. Several members posts made me realize I need to get tested - to know for sure - for a few reasons.

But not now. It's not feasible as in today's article on the testing site for my area. If I feel the need, I'll seek medical attention. For now, I'm monitoring my condition.

Gents, go back to the beer thread. It's more fun :)

Test.png

Test 2.png

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
Go early of you want to be tested. Tbh, my non medical opinon, isolate and take what ever meds you can to feel better. There are experamental meds out there but if your not critical, i dought they would give them out to you. So its treat it like its the flu. If you feel worse, go to the hospital. Earlier is better before beds fill up. If thats by you , some hospitals were allready closed for incoming patiants because of the 4 that died allready. ( in red bank i think, forgot the name.) . Fell better and i hooe you good.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Prolly being turned away because they don't meet the requirements for testing, i.e. symptoms of the virus. They can't just expend resources on people who want to just check and see if they might have, but then, there are folks out there who don't mind taking treatment away from others who are in fact infected so they can have it just in case. Just like the TP shortage.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Mike, one of the symptoms is a DRY cough with no phlegm.

I was talking this morning to a good friend who is a nurse at a Geisinger hospital. Geisinger is a rather large medical facility here in N.E. Pa., and as of her last shift a couple nights ago, they told her they still had 0 confirmed cases of the virus.
Kind of makes me wonder about some of what the media is reporting.

Geisinger

Geisinger comprises 12 hospital campuses, two research centers, a college of medicine and a 510,000-member health plan serving more than three million residents in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and beyond.

·
Admin
43,198 Posts
Geisinger comprises 12 hospital campuses, two research centers, a college of medicine and a 510,000-member health plan serving more than three million residents in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and beyond.
If they have 510,000 members, how are they serving more than three million? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

FWIW, I took my daughter up there from near Phila many years ago. We were having questions about the treatment we were receiving with her current ENT. Since Geisinger had a highly regarded ENT staff, we decided to go out of the area to get an unbiased opinion on her care. Good thing, because we were getting poor advice from her existing doctor, so we went ton one that was recommended by Geisinger, we had a much better experience.

·
Registered
624 Posts
OP wrote:
"What else can one do?"

Call the closest hospital.
Ask about getting tested.
You are in NJ?
COVID-19 is a big problem there, I doubt you will be refused testing if you show up with symptoms.

Don't wait.
If it gets into the lungs, one can go downhill very quickly, according to reports I've read.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Mike, one of the symptoms is a DRY cough with no phlegm.

Yes, read that.

I'm a smoker. But I never, ever, had a sustained coughing fit like I experienced Wed night thru Thur morning. It had phlegm. But whenever I cough I have phlegm. So I thought it could be Covid19 causing the cough but with phlegm from smoking. I really didn't think I had it until Thursday night when I woke up with that "Belt Tightened Around My Chest" feeling I've read about. Didn't last long but it changed my mind.

Anyway, I work for a Doc. He's on the phone with me every day. He just called to check on me.

Coincidentally, he's the leading US physician on Stem Cell Therapy. And he's working a trial treating the lungs of Covid19 patients. He said early results are astounding - blood oxygen levels up over 200%.

All my trains are okay. Maybe humanity will survive too. Going back to layout construction :)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If they have 510,000 members, how are they serving more than three million? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

FWIW, I took my daughter up there from near Phila many years ago. We were having questions about the treatment we were receiving with her current ENT. Since Geisinger had a highly regarded ENT staff, we decided to go out of the area to get an unbiased opinion on her care. Good thing, because we were getting poor advice from her existing doctor, so we went ton one that was recommended by Geisinger, we had a much better experience.
OK John, Geisinger has it's own health insurance including a Medicare Advantage plan and Medicare supplement insurance and personal or family plans, and small business plans. I'm assuming they mean total insured people thru those 510K policies. That's just my thought, I really don't know for sure.
I got those numbers from their web page. :)

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Kind of makes me wonder about some of what the media is reporting.
Why? There are plenty of places that don't yet have a confirmed case (and many may never get one). That doesn't do anything to call into question any of the reporting on the subject.

FWIW, East Haddam has no cases, Middlesex County has one (in Haddam), and New London County still doesn't have any. That situation might hold, or it might change by the time you read this. But just because there aren't any positive cases near me is no reason to be dismissive of it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
ALL of the UP of Michigan has no cases reported. But honestly I don't believe it. I'm certain it's here. I mean really, how can it not be.

·
Registered
500 Posts
ALL of the UP of Michigan has no cases reported. But honestly I don't believe it. I'm certain it's here. I mean really, how can it not be.
The key word is “reported” one can have it yet not know it

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Why? There are plenty of places that don't yet have a confirmed case (and many may never get one). That doesn't do anything to call into question any of the reporting on the subject.

FWIW, East Haddam has no cases, Middlesex County has one (in Haddam), and New London County still doesn't have any. That situation might hold, or it might change by the time you read this. But just because there aren't any positive cases near me is no reason to be dismissive of it.
2 reasons;

I know there are one heck of a lot of people go thru their system everyday. At most they've had a couple false positives.

I don't trust the media. Too many times they embelish facts for the benefit of their story.
Too often I've heard what was reported to them and what they wrote was totally sideways from the facts. (but one hell of a story)
And then there was the story reported by paper and tv when my father was fatally shot by a recent mental facility release. Luckily he passed on 13 years later at 86 from natural causes.

Sorry for my skepticism! :dunno:

I'm in no way downplaying the virus just the reporting.

·
Admin
43,198 Posts
I'm in no way downplaying the virus just the reporting.
Actually, the virus reporting has gone way over the top. Sure it's a bad situation, but it doesn't justify 20 channels of non-stop coverage!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Actually, the virus reporting has gone way over the top. Sure it's a bad situation, but it doesn't justify 20 channels of non-stop coverage!
yes, if media would have relayed what they were told from the start from pretty much everybody; (President, CDC, Medical professionals) which was

TAKE HEED BUT DON'T PANIC

chances are we could all have a roll of toilet paper and the health workers could all have a mask.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts