Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...............all kinds, but, especially from 1959 and 1960. And, one of my most favoirite songs is (Ghost) Riders In The Sky, sung by Vaughn Monroe, I think around 1949. (I was born in 1946). I must have heard it on the radio in 1950, because that is when we got our first radio in the kitchen, and I was allowed to turn it on, and tune it in. I know the first time iI heard it, it both scared me and enthralled me. Even today, when I play it, I can picture every scene played out in that song, and the warning about riding in the clouds, chasing that devil's herd. What are your favorites?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good one, Hank Williams was a great writer and singer. I think the country/western music of the forties, fifties and sixties was the best ever, and Patsy Cline was the best ever female country singer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Marty Robbins for sure. "Big Iron" being my favorite. George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone" & "I Drink Alone" are tops. Just about anything done by the Ventures.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me, my favorite Marty Robbins' songs were El Paso and White Sport Coat. Bad To The Bone is one of those songs that needs to be played REAL LOUD. I Drink Alone is something I practiced way too much for a time in my life.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm not a Country Music guy although I really like Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. I'm all-in on the Do Wop, street corner music of the late 50's early 60's.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Do-wop, standing around and trying to harmonize with your best buds. Good songs, all. Spence, were you an American Bandstand fan? I think the groups you mentioned were featured on A.B. during the early days. Lots of the groups on A.B. were locals from Philly or New Jersey.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
40s swing; 50s, 60s, and early 70s rock. I enjoy singing along with many of them. Also like some classical, some old country, blues, gospel. No specific favorite songs.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't sing a note, and, if I try, it would be off-key. But I do like to listen, and music takes me back to times and places of my life.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Do-wop, standing around and trying to harmonize with your best buds. Good songs, all. Spence, were you an American Bandstand fan? I think the groups you mentioned were featured on A.B. during the early days. Lots of the groups on A.B. were locals from Philly or New Jersey.
I remember getting home from school and American Bandstand would come on at 300PM (Eastern) daily Monday-Friday. I watched it faithfully. I also watched Dick Clark's Saturday night Beechnut Gum show wher he had the live acts.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Some music is very good, most music is good. But some is terrible.

It's interesting sometimes I'll be in a store for example and they'll play some second tier hit from long ago. Or even not that long ago.

And I'll enjoy it for a bit only to then realise how horrible it actually is... Or annoying in some way.

I heard one of those this morning. After an initial "oh yeah I haven't heard this in awhile....". I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Alas it only got worse on the next one.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I heard one of those this morning. After an initial "oh yeah I haven't heard this in awhile....". I couldn't wait for it to be over.
Stairway to Heaven, Stranglehold, Paradise by the Dashboard Lights... to name a few of my anti-favorites.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Stairway to Heaven ...
The theme to my then girlfriend's junior prom. Of course, the song had only been released for 2 1/2 years. Not quite played out by then.

From Reddit:

As a listener-funded station, KBOO runs a variety of fundraising offers. Once, they promised the station would never play Stairway To Heaven again if given $10,000. After his last set at the Aladdin Theater, Robert Plant was driving his rental car to the Oregon Coast and station-surfing, looking for non-mainstream music. That is, of course, a KBOO specialty, and the offer was repeated while Plant was lingering on the station. He liked the idea and decided to accept. He pulled over to use a pay-phone to call and make a $10,000 pledge, which he says he did using the credit card of Atco Records president Herb Abramson.

During an interview in which Plant confirmed the story, he also said that he liked the song well enough, and of course it has been very very good to him… “…but don’t you know, I’ve heard it before.”

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Probably after my time but I don't remember Stairway to Heaven or Stranglehold, but I thought Paradise by the Dashboard Lights was great. The whole story was great and they got Phil Rizzuto to do the baseball part and he later explained he had no idea what they were asking him to read. It was not an actual broadcast, but a great song story.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts