Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided I want a defect detector on my layout. I was wondering if I could have a sensor that detects light hooked up to a sound that will play whatever milepost no defects and a wire or cord in between the rails would trigger another sound that says milepost whatever dragging equipment. Is there a way I could wire this up? if so, thanks!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
what exactly do you mean by "defect"? is a defect a low hanging coupler, a derailed wheel, ...?

is this something on the train or are there one or more of these "detectors" at specific track locations?

·
Registered
797 Posts
what exactly do you mean by "defect"? is a defect a low hanging coupler, a derailed wheel, ...?

Usually a hot journal or dragging equipment.
Typical playback:
"Conrail, milepost 89, track 1, no defects"

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
This is to simulate a defect detector, not to actually detect something on your train in real time?

·
Admin
44,010 Posts
This is to simulate a defect detector, not to actually detect something on your train in real time?
It would be very difficult to actually detect faults in real-time with a trackside accessory, we don't have the budget that the prototype railroads do. ;)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I wanted to make sure the conversation did not go off on a tangent on how we could detect things (yes, I think this would be extremely difficult, but not impossible)

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Why not use a light sensitive sensor? I'm not very good at electronics, but I'm sure you could wire that to play your recording.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts