Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
turtle track.jpg
馃ぃ Actually, I think this has a different purpose, but it's a creative explanation!!馃ぃ

Registered
It is indeed purpose built. I鈥檝e rescued a number of turtles stuck between the rails on the museum railroad I work on. They live in a pond nearby and occasionally wander to the tracks and can鈥檛 find their way out. Thankfully we don鈥檛 have switches in that area. That being said, a twig can keep switch points from properly closing and it doesn鈥檛 take a very large gap for a flange to pick a switch. I can only imagine the problems turtles could cause on a mainline railroad.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I see, so that caption is way off! It really is the Turtle Motel! They check in but then have to be liberated! The photo makes a lot more sense now... :D
Well, I think a crossing would make a better model! I see other solutions online...
Tunnels, and also just a pile of gravel between the rails!

Registered
My guess would be that the height or texture of the end of the "tunnel" is such that the turtles can crawl out, but only at the ends.

I have a sump behind my house that the water softener discharges into, and about 15 years ago, there was this horrible smell around the deck and patio, making the area unlivable (couldn't even open the windows at the rear of the house). Turns out that there were dozens of dead toads in the sump -- it was just deep enough that they couldn't jump out if there was water in it. I had to put a screen over it to eliminate the toad deathtrap.

Registered
I have a sump behind my house that the water softener discharges into, and about 15 years ago, there was this horrible smell around the deck and patio, making the area unlivable (couldn't even open the windows at the rear of the house). Turns out that there were dozens of dead toads in the sump -- it was just deep enough that they couldn't jump out if there was water in it. I had to put a screen over it to eliminate the toad deathtrap.
Ole called his local motor vehicle office one day.
"I tink you need to moof that deer crossing sign out on route 4. Dat's not a safe place for dem to cross!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts