Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys we have bought a lot of menards track several structures. we got an email said they were out of the locos. guess we lucked out i have a question about a steam engine we have. don,t know who made it, no lionel listing on it. maybe american flyer. no nothing on it. i rember running it when i was a kid and i,m 74 so maybe 45 to 55 manufacture. here is some pics

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jake! i found a faint outline on the cab 523. must be the number. i also have a sloped back tender with that goes with it. we,ll treat it a little better know than we did when we were kids. thanks again oog2148

· Premium Member
3,539 Posts
That is a nice looking locomotive. The detail on it is actually very well done. Are you going to restore it?

Tom

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a nice looking locomotive. The detail on it is actually very well done. Are you going to restore it?

Tom
hi tom i sand blasted the 1/8 inch of paint off of it last weekend and sanded the tender. it wasn,t as bad as the loco. hit them with rattle can semi gloss black. gonna give em another coat tomorrow. sent the motor and eunit to ohio for repair. don,t know if the eunit was the rite one, it was soldered to the motor bracket insulation on the wiring was all crumbling. putting leds in the headlite and the tender. hope to renew a lot of fond memories.

· Yard Master & Research
12,087 Posts
From 1939.

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine Locomotive

Train Motor vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock Mode of transport

This engine was offered in 1938, 39 40. The catolog say 431 engine with 4321 on the cab. It may have been offered other years but this is what I found.

· Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I like the milk car behind the locomotive in the ad.

The engine pictured in Pete’s post was in an accident when a runaway hopper crashed into it…good to see they restored it…

Train Wheel Rolling stock Vehicle Fence

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From 1939.

View attachment 593456

View attachment 593457

This engine was offered in 1938, 39 40. The catolog say 431 engine with 4321 on the cab. It may have been offered other years but this is what I found.
looks just like what we have. know that i see a pic of it i,ll add the stripes to the loco and tender. had to sandblast it cause of the 1,8 in. of paint that had to come off. some was brushed on. tender wasn,t nearly as bad. any pic is most helpful. oog2148

· Railroad Tycoon
26,089 Posts
No….now try to follow me here….he said he ordered stainless steel rod to repair the railings, but the real ones were black….so “paint” meant he could paint them black to match the real ones….
ok, try to follow, I must have missed the part where he asked abut painting them.
While one word comments do get you another for your post count. they are useless without more detail as to what you mean. :cool:

· Premium Member
14,464 Posts
Well, you said it yourself, you missed the part….useless is as useless does….

You sure have a phobia about my post count…..try not to let it get you down…. 😆

· Yard Master & Research
12,087 Posts
The catalog shows a black handrail but it is just a drawing. Drawings tend to be inaccurate. They are an artist rendition of what they see. Original black handrails may not be the case. The OP did a repaint and included the handrail. I went through some images on a search and found many unpainted but dull with a patina.

· Railroad Tycoon
26,089 Posts
Well, you said it yourself, you missed the part….useless is as useless does….

You sure have a phobia about my post count…..try not to let it get you down…. 😆
If you look back, no where does he ask about painting them? That is why I missed it, unless you can point to where he asked?
That is the only reason I asked why you just posted the one word PAINT?
As he did say he painted the locomotive.
Now try to follow, can you find it, where he asked?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts