Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Greenberg train show in Edison N.J. yesterday. I was looking for a particular flat car that holds a jet boat that Lionel made in the early 1960's. One of my friends who is a Lionel dealer had a display at the show so I asked him. He said if you want to identify any Lionel train item look up Tanden-Associates on the web. I did when I got home and this site is all about identifying Lionel trains. I just wanted to pass this along to the good people on this site. It was very helpful in finding the right mold number on the bottom of this flat car. As for the train show, I really was pleasantly surprised to see so many young people attending the show with children.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,772 Posts
Yep. Tandem is a good place to find info on postwar trains, transformers, track, etc.
https://www.tandem-associates.com/
Greenberg’s guides are also good for getting a sanity check on prices.
I bought a new guide, lots of pages now.
My old one was from 2010.
If you check the prices and compare them to the 2010's prices you will see that a lot have come down in price.
I checked mainly post war for now, I was surprised that in the 10 years time period that they have dropped instead of going up.:confused:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If you check the prices and compare them to the 2010's prices you will see that a lot have come down in price.
I checked mainly post war for now, I was surprised that in the 10 years time period that they have dropped instead of going up.:confused:
Unfortunately online resources such as Ebay and other online auctions have killed the value on many "collectibles." The "hunt" isn't nearly as difficult when you can find listings in every part of the world from a smart phone whereas you were a bit more confined to your local area before the smart phone/PC era. Greenberg prices are OK for getting a rough idea of what something is worth, but I like looking at the "sold" listings on Ebay to see what people are actually paying. It's not a perfect price point either, but at least gives a better benchmark to base an offer off of when I'm out shopping.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Big Ed you are spot on!!! I've only been collecting Lionel for the past 10 years and am amazed at the availability of Post War items on Ebay, Craigslist, EBTH, and Estate Sales. What used to be valued has been devalued as folks are trying to unload collections and reduce prices to do it...at least here in Wisconsin!! For the serious collectors I suppose the same thing with availability of product...but like anything this could change or go up in the next ten years...which will make me...do the math...Old as Dust!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

·
Registered
583 Posts
He said if you want to identify any Lionel train item look up Tanden-Associates on the web.
yup... when I want to know about a loco.. i google Lionel 1666 or so.. whatever number and i look for their site.. hah..
love seeing their stuff as they give all the different variations, what to look for, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts