Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law gave me this loco along with some other rolling stock. The last time he had an HO layout was in the 60s-70s. I can't find any manufacturer's name or any markings whatsoever.

It's 7.5" long and it weighs a hefty 1.5 bs. No plastic parts at all. I put it on my test track and added power slowly up to max and it didn't budge. I tried to move the power wheels but couldn't, tried moving the gears but no luck.

There's not much under it except for the trucks and power wheels. Almost no space to add decoders. I do see two tiny screws on the sides of the big center post. Will see if there's space after removing it.

Anyone have any idea who made this? Worth rehabbing? Seems the motor rests on top of the rear truck.

If anything, I'll put it on an abandoned track as a display, along with an old caboose.

P1060362 (2).JPG P1060364 (2).JPG

·
Registered
266 Posts
Pretty sure that’s old Mantua. My dad has a few in his collection.

IF you want a running model, it can be repowered with either Hobbytown or Athearn (blue box)...just gotta get that center lug out of the way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand about the center lug removal. Two screws plus what looks like a rivet on each end of the metal plate.

I looked up Athearn blue box but saw that they are other engines or cars. Not sure how I resurrect this with another engine? Remove the motor in this one and replace with the motor from a blue box engine?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Athearn trucks will not match, wheelbase (front to rear axle)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Athearn blue box refers to the Athearn engines from the 80’s and 90’s that coincidentally came in a two toned blue box. Precursor to the current Genesis locos.

I forget what dad used...might have been a U boat. That’ll get ya close.

Or like I said, Hobbytown of Boston used to make universal drive setups. Toss a very large can motor and flywheel into it and geared right it’ll coast 4’ easily. You can still find Hobbytown stuff on Ebay and I believe they’re trying to mount an online comeback...again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts