Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Admin
44,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the model of this switch? I have a pair of them that I got with some other stuff. They work fine, but I'd like to find the lanterns for them. Someone has also obviously added that light, since it's attachment doesn't look like factory stock.

A source of the lanterns to complete them would be nice too. I tried the 022 switch lanterns on them, but they don't have the same mating base.

They have no numbers of any kind on them, so there's nothing to search on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
I took a look in my post-war catalog stuff, but didn't see anything like that. Any idea on vintage? 1970's ???

TJ

·
Admin
44,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The length of the straight track section is 8 1/8" If it's a "half radius", what kind of track would you use? That would be a pretty tight turn. FWIW, it appears to be the same radius as the 022, I held it up to a 022 switch, and the turn is exactly the same radius. They're non-derailing like the 022, and all of that appears to work.

No markings of any kind, but it has a "Made in China" sticker on the bottom, so it's fairly recent.

I think I can use them on the new layout I'm working on, but I have to know the model to find the lanterns. They obviously post 1969, becuause they don't appear in the Greenberg's book.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,691 Posts
It looks O In length it is a 1/16 of a circle compared to the o22 switch which is 1/8th. It gives a tighter turn for an off shoot. They may have been made over the years but they are not popular. You might consider it rare. Being modern now that is different. The switch is 2 inches shorter than an o gage straight.

To get more track in a small yard you feed into from both ends and alternate rails like when you lock your fingers. You don't need special switches to do that. A normal 022 motor may work or worth trying, but yours is smaller because of space. Since it is odd you may have to use 022 parts so it would be ideal if the motor worked.

You even have a switch to use accessory power instead of track. That small switch I missed it before. That dates it modern.

·
Admin
44,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The switch is fully functional, the only missing item is the lantern lens. I guess I'm not understanding your measurements or idea.

This pair of switches is O and not O-27, and the radius coming out is the same as the standard O-31 curves. OTOH, since the curve section of the switch is shorter, you need an extra track segment.

I put a pair of 022's together and the pair of mystery switches. It takes an extra curve section of track to use the Mystery switches in a 180, here's the pictures. The radius of the curve is the same, so other than the short straight section, I don't know what changes between the two in actual use.

Here's pictures of each of the configurations.

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,691 Posts
My idea was to remove the switch flipper from the 022 and place it to work the mystery switch. It only takes two scews to remove.

You are right about the extra curve section needed when using the pair.

If you want, you can cut a curve in half to use with each switch. To do this you will need more ties for support

Those switches are space savers. It's the first I have seen.

·
Admin
44,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what you are saying to remove from the 022, the switch works fine? What am I accomplishing by taking an 022 apart? What is the "switch flipper"? Are you talking about the whole solenoid drive part of the 022? They're totally different if that's the case.

They're clearly labeled Lionel, I'm surprised there is no number anywhere on the switches. I just want to find the number so I can search for lanterns to finish them. The bulbs light, so all I really need is a cover. They work like the 022, the base for the lantern rotates 90 degrees when the switch changes state.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The switch is a 3010 or 3011. They are not very good switches. The RH switch usually will have a problem with derailing. The points don't close against the outside rail in the divergent position. If you go to trains.com and search for 3010, I think you will find a lot of discussion about these switches and how to fix them. http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/p/165006/1815646.aspx
IMHO, they are not nearly as good as the 022s.
They do need two short pieces of track to make them match an 022 switch. These were included with the switch when it came from Lionel.
I cut down some 022 switches to make them similar to the 3010/3011. http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/p/173015/1898753.aspx#1898753
Bruce Baker

·
Admin
44,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I did have to tinker with them to get them working, and the right hand switch did indeed not totally actuate without some tinkering. I think I have them working, but I wasn't sure what I had.

I found an instruction sheet for the 3010 switch and sure enough, that's the one! :)

If required, I guess I'll have to cut down a track or two and make the pieces.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
John, IMHO, the 022 switches are first class. They need some restoration due to their age, but once that is done, they are absolutely bulletproof. And, let me see, we are buying these for about $10 v. $100 for a fastrack switch. For me, this is a no brainer. Besides, I always wanted the 022 switches when I was a kid, and now I have more than I ever dreamed of.
Bruce Baker

1 - 13 of 13 Posts