Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, how have you been, fellas ? I've been busy with my 45 lb of locos acquired recently against all the odds, you know, lol. Anyway, I can't really identify this engine with a hifi drive. Anybody can ? The second loco # 1301 from the top. The Rio Grande lot will be my new installment, God willing.

Attachments

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1301 looks to be an EMD GP7 or GP9 with a "cut down" nose.

But... what happened to the cab roof...?
Yeah, that's what I originally think, an early Athearn GP 7 with a nice custom-made low hood because of the hi-f drive. The roof is missing, no idea, as the lot, bought for me, is still in the US, it comes that way, I'll just cover it with some plastic, no big deal. I needed to confirm that from an expert like you, many thanks, Albert. I'm happy to expand my D&RGW fleet as I only have a Spectrum GE 44 switcher and Rivarossi ML4000. These 5 locos was a real bargain, $ 85.75. Shipping it to Nicaragua may cost me that amount, killing the deal, yet the only way to have it ...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It's definitely an older model of a GP7. I don't know what manufacturer would have made it.

I don't think Athearn as their "GP9" (labelled a GP9 but actually a GP7 because apparently nobody knew any better back in those days) had dynamic brakes and I don't believe the roof was a separate piece like that to go missing. They also didn't have a low nose but that *may* have been a custom job here? Hard to tell from the photo...

Edit: actually... squinting at it a bit more, there looks like a big hump on top with the DB fan. The side grills for the dynamic brake, which were separately attached pieces on the Athearn model at least, are missing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The first is an Athearn SW7 but has the road number of a SW1000 which were numbered 140-149. The highest 3 numbers were stationed in Salt Lake City if I recall. The others in Denver.

The second diesel doesnt look like anything the DRGW ever owned. It looks kinda like a GP20 at first blush, fantasy loco and fantasy road number.

The 3rd is a SD7 numbered as on SD9 I believe.

The 4th looks like an Athearn SD7 but has a road number belonging to an SD45 that was in the Kaiser coal train pool. I don't recall that any SD7s or SD9 s ever got the large herald so a fantasy scheme.

The last looks like an Athearn SD45.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Look up THAT TRAIN PLACE in Kent Washington. I have looked at their ebay adds and they have a lot of diesel shells and such parts. Since I hang diesel salesmen like John Allen on the G&D I didn't look very close.
You may find a cab roof

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look up THAT PLACE in Kent Washington. I have looked at their ebay adds and they have a lot of diesel shells and such parts. Since I hang diesel salesmen like John Allen on the G&D I didn't look very close.
You may find a cab roof
Thank you for pointing at that seller having great detail, but right now I'm running around to gather $120 for the shipping down here, the diesel lot of 17 lb of locos is still stuck with my friend in the US, so finding a cab roof is not my top priority, if you understand.

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the 17 lb of locos today ! OK ? 14 engines, 6 running neatly right away. I will have to open the rest, as usually some parts are out of place. This time the trains look like they had a very bumpy ride. One engine's metal chassis is even broken apart, like a chainsaw had its day, lol. I guess that explains why this time the Nicaraguan Customs officials didn't charge me any import duties except a $ 3 handling fee, because otherwise they consider model trains and slot cars, no matter however used, diamonds. So I will see how many more I'll make eventually run. So some minor repairs will be needed. I also got 9 engine shells intact. I'm not sleeping tonight ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts