Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you prefer most?
(Given a choice).

We all know they could if they wanted to.

If Accurail were to offer a new genre of product, what would you most like it to be?

A.) Caboose
B.) Tanker
C.) Flat
D.) Ore car
E.) Coil car
F.) Archbar trucks
G.) Passenger car
H.) Coal or oil tender
I.) MW equipment
J.) Dummy diesel units
K.) Dummy slugs/cows
L.) Big-rig tractor/trailer
M.) Construction, e.g., bulldozer, etc.
N.) Boat
O.) Other...

·
Premium Member
10,611 Posts
I’m partial to accurate flat cars, either, or both 40 and 50 ft…..

Tank cars have been well represented, along with decent cabooses, but flat cars not so much, IMO….

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tank cars have been well represented, along with decent cabooses, but flat cars not so much, IMO….
I'm not sure where the caboose is "well represented", but I suppose if I wanted a Canadian road I'd look at Rapido, or a B&O/Cheesie I'd look at Tangent, or a steel bay window I'd look at Genesis... all expensive premium brands.
But for (quality) common offset cupola types, there aren't a lot of good choices...
Proto doesn't offer them anymore, Centralia has dried up, and except for pricey Mainline and Atlas Master, the remainder are so-so.
Other than that, except for Roundhouse, and challenging AMB kits, there isn't much to chose from.
IMO, Athearn and and Atlas Trainman offer the only RTR universally available and AFFORDABLE caboose models with decent detail... and even they're getting scarce in places.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first choices would be A & D, with I & M a close second.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm actually amazed that someone hasn't jumped in and said "N scale".

·
Premium Member
10,611 Posts
I'm not sure where the caboose is "well represented", but I suppose if I wanted a Canadian road I'd look at Rapido, or a B&O/Cheesie I'd look at Tangent, or a steel bay window I'd look at Genesis... all expensive premium brands.
But for (quality) common offset cupola types, there aren't a lot of good choices...
Proto doesn't offer them anymore, Centralia has dried up, and except for pricey Mainline and Atlas Master, the remainder are so-so.
Other than that, except for Roundhouse, and challenging AMB kits, there isn't much to chose from.
IMO, Athearn and and Atlas Trainman offer the only RTR universally available and AFFORDABLE caboose models with decent detail... and even they're getting scarce in places.
I guess I’m spoiled then…..Trueline Trains (and Rapido) made a lot of beautiful very well detailed Canadian style cabooses, and it just so happens that’s what I model, so I have multiples of those, in both CN and CP versions, so I couldn’t be happier about my caboose collection…..

Anyway, as I said, I would like Accurail to do flat cars, as I think decent versions of those are scarce as well…..again, IMO….

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyway, as I said, I would like Accurail to do flat cars, as I think decent versions of those are scarce as well…..again, IMO….
Yeah, I hear you...
The only real good flats I have are InterMountain/RedCaboose 42' fishbellies.
But I do have a bunch of 'em.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In fact, in addition to five InterMountain SP flats, I have (among others) 2 Canada Southerns and 4 CP's.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As far as cabeese, a nice C40-1, C40-3 for SP, and an Alco S6 switcher would be nice, being an SP modeler these are high on my list, but many other roads used the S6 as well, as for flatcars, I snatch up the Tyco flats when I can find them, they're actually a decent looking car, I just replace the trucks and couplers, add some details, and I've bought them as cheap as .25 cents before

·
Premium Member
10,611 Posts
Yeah, I hear you...
The only real good flats I have are InterMountain/RedCaboose 42' fishbellies.
But I do have a bunch of 'em.
Me too, also a bunch of Proto 2000 52 ft flat cars, all were kits…..they are very nice, and Walthers Proto has released some RTR’s since then….

And the Ertl old time 40 ft flat cars were very nice….got some in CN, CP and GT….

·
Registered
805 Posts
Personally I would like to see flat cars or the ps series 2 bay covered hoppers. Bowser makes a relatively nice kit for them but I haven’t seen any of those kits since my lhs the valley roundhouse closed. Unfortunately the owner passed on and had no children or wife. The guy was a fantastic modeler (nmra master modeler) and had an enormous collection on his own let alone the shop that was packed to the gills with models and supplies

·
Registered
204 Posts
Personally I would like to see flat cars or the ps series 2 bay covered hoppers. Bowser makes a relatively nice kit for them but I haven’t seen any of those kits since my lhs the valley roundhouse closed. Unfortunately the owner passed on and had no children or wife. The guy was a fantastic modeler (nmra master modeler) and had an enormous collection on his own let alone the shop that was packed to the gills with models and supplies
How long ago did the owner pass? Valley Roundhouse was my favorite hobby shop, had the wall of detail parts and a ton of Athearn B.B. and MDC kits, lot of cool treasures in his store, sad to hear he passed, although he wasn’t in the best health, I hadn’t been down there in quite some time, he was a Rock Island modeler, had quite an impressive layout in the basement as well, wonder where all of that ended up

·
Registered
805 Posts
He actually had the layout in the basement and a layout at his house. He passed away in March i believe it was

·
Registered
204 Posts
I used to chat with him quite a bit when I went there, he used to work for the Rock Island as a carman, he built a lot of cool models, he did a beautiful model of the Rocks El Reno OK yard tower, sad to hear he passed, he was a nice old guy

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If Accurail offered a Southern Pacific C-30 caboose, I'd buy 12, and get a decal number set.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The more I think about it, the more I'll stick with my top two choices... A & D.
The C-30 caboose is under-produced, as are ore cars, which are generally overpriced as well, and are most often hunted in bunches.
It'd be far easier financially to assemble an ore train with Accurail prices than the cost of what's currently available.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Pretty much anyone I & up is probably an almost 0% chance of happening, since Accurail only does simple freight car kits.

MOW equipment could maybe happen, but it's a push - since basically 99% of MOW cars are converted from older retired equipment, they tend to be totally unique.

Passenger cars and steam tenders are also pretty unique to specific railroads and steam locomotive classes. As are cabooses. You have to pick a design for one railroad, and paint it in everyone else's colours.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts