Model Train Forum banner
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
No worries. I'm kind of stuck in planning/track plan purgatory it feels like. I've come up with some good ideas but I end up not happy with them when I get them on the bench work in the room. I'd hoped to just be running trains this weekend but it might be Christmas before that happens the rate I'm going

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
So I didn't like the 4 foot deep section of the design I was working on. I liked having the wye, but it causes too much of an issue. I decided to keep it as shallow as I could. I've moved on to this design here. On the East end of the yard (north wall of the room), with the locomotive shop and fueling area, the lead that goes towards the edge of the layout will be to a turntable for more locomotive storage, might go to the first siding out the east yard. I haven't figured out what all the industries will be. The coal mine will be along the south side of the room, along with an auto yard. Off the south yard is going to be the intermodal yard. But I'm happy with this layout, easy to reach all parts of the layout.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well, usa, I did like the wye... But, you could add a turntable...:D
One other feature I like is the double crossover. It allows you to set and forget that switch, allowing a single train to continuously traverse the inner and outer mains of the entire layout with no intervention. I like the continuous run capability...:giggle:
Cid

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Well, usa, I did like the wye... But, you could add a turntable...:D
One other feature I like is the double crossover. It allows you to set and forget that switch, allowing a single train to continuously traverse the inner and outer mains of the entire layout with no intervention. I like the continuous run capability...:giggle:
Cid
I'd love to keep the wye, it just takes up too much space and makes the layout too deep to reach. I can barely reach the back of the 3 ft deep section on my tip toes. The double cross over is being used simply because I had to buy an additional right hand crossover and at $35, I didn't want to buy two. I had the double crossover already. But I could absolutely set it to thrown and just run from inner to outer or outer to inner.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
What's the best way to get feeders through the pink foam? Drilling makes a mess and makes the hole in the foam way larger than I need it to be. Cut squares out with some long utility blades?

·
Registered
Ohio Central Systems
1,697 Posts
I drilled a hole just slightly larger than the wire. It slides right through. I used solid core 22 gauge wire. Super easy, but I did have to special order some 12" long drill bits. I had about 6-8 inches of foam to fish it through.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Deepest foam I'll have to get through is 3 inches, plus 1/5" plywood (yup 1/5" because it was $20/sheet vs $40 for 1/4"). I guess if I plan to plaster cloth over cardboard lattice for other terrain, I can cover any misdrilled holes with some plaster cloth. I'm using the Kato unijoiners, I've got a few dozen of them. Something like 60, though I'm not using all of them. But I believe they're 22 gauge stranded.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I'm cutting the kato plugs off and crimping on fork connectors to terminal blocks. Going to put 2-4 feeders per connector to save space on the terminal blocks and number of fork connectors. But still going with a 3/8 inch hole. Need to bring a different bit home from work though. The one I've got is very dull. Wood bit that may or may not have been used on metal at some point.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts