Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a fan since 1963, when it was real STOCK car racing. Over the years it's morphed into specialized race cars, something I never really supported. They've changed a lot of rules in that same period, but I seldom agreed with any other than for safety. In short, my interest has declined over time.

Now they have kneeled to politics, and some of the drivers are going along with it. I gave up the nfl when they went outside of my interests, and I'm doing the same with na$car. I'm done!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm on the same page, the silliness of stage racing, and the personalities involved, just don't interest me any more.

·
Registered
416 Posts
As others have posted I have been a longtime NASCAR fan. But alas no more. The Confederate Flag ban was the last straw. The constant series of rule changes and interpretations of said rule changes keeps one's head swimming as a fan. I can only imagine what the Crew Chiefs and crew are going thru. Basically for me the change to segment racing was the beginning of the slow demise of NASCAR. Each segment became a Dash For Cash style race. I can go to a local non NASCAR track and watch all the Dashes For ??? races I want and the ticket price would be a good bit more affordable. Tech Inspections is another area that mystified me. Seems funny that a racecar that passes prerace inspection with flying colors is found not to pass after the race??? Give me a break! These machines are pounded to death during a race and are bound to go out of tolerance during the race. Oh well now I will have more time away from the TV and use said time to pursue O Gauge Trains.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Personally, I prefer a race in which the cars have to make both right and left turns, like Formula 1 or Le Mans. Just watching them run in a circle is about as exciting as watching your ballast dry.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
I realize it took talent to drive the cars and build them but I never was into it or considered it reall racing like SCCA and FIA, etc.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
So if a hot honey is found watching the race in a Confederate flag T shirt will they make her take it off?
If so I will continue watch. 😎

Reactions: flyernut

·
Registered
515 Posts
Back before automobiles could go fast nor were there freeways to do so, competitive auto racing on a track, like horse racing, must have been a real thrill to watch because it could, 97% of the time only be seen in a stadium dedicated to this..or on backwoods dirt roads.
But I never understood the attraction of watching vehicles in a stadium today, speed along and have wrecks sometimes, when we ourselves do that everyday on US highways..
And too bad about the Union Jack, which stands for 18 century British tyranny against a newly found America's democracy.
Of course, enjoy car racing, same as model RRing, to your heart's content..But time to honor Old Glory over the flag of slavery and monocracy ...🇺🇸

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Nascar...Just a bunch of good ole boys from down south.
Bootleggers
Amazing that they could get away from the cops by constantly making wide left turns.....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
But I never understood the attraction of watching vehicles in a stadium today, speed along and have wrecks sometimes ...
A former colleague, nice guy, educated, would arrange trips for his wife and their friends to NASCAR races: Chartered bus, group tickets, etc. I got the impression it was more a social event rather than pure racing fans.

·
Registered
830 Posts
A former colleague, nice guy, educated, would arrange trips for his wife and their friends to NASCAR races: Chartered bus, group tickets, etc. I got the impression it was more a social event rather than pure racing fans.
Yeah, I had some friends that did the whole race weekend RV thing. They went to every close race (Charlotte, North Wilksboro, Rockingham, Darlington, Richmond, Bristol, Martinsville). They would drive in Friday night, catch the Bush race in Sat., & the Cup race on Sun., then drive back home Monday. There was a pretty large group that always camped together. Just a big ol' weekend long party.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Hey Ed, I got burned on a earlier post with a similar connotation to the undress of a woman. BEWARE, the censor police are watching.

And on the point of this thread, what is going to happen to the General Lee, the most iconic car on TV? Will someone set it afire?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Tried to enjoy Nascar a few times. Having folks explain it to me while watching. Couldn't get into it.

Banning the flag of slavery and sedition is a nice gesture but in the unlikely event I get into auto racing it will be a version with right and left turns.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.