Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
well im back into model rail roads after about 25 years away.
Unfortunatly it took my father passing away to push me back into it.
He left a very large 00 gauge layout back in the UK.
I bought most of it back over to the US with me, mostly older steam that was his passion.
On top of that I bought back a 3 1/2 gauge live steam Rob Roy that is something we built together(mostly him)
Anyway I intend to build my lay out around the walls of one of my rooms, as I mentioned it is all 00 gauge, if I am not mistaken that is the same as HO ???correct.
I will post pictures when I get back home in a couple of weeks
marc

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Welcome to the forum Oldpa... Sorry to hear about your father's passing... As far as OO scale goes, it uses the same width (gauge) track as HO scale, but the actual trains and cars are slightly larger than HO scale trains... OO scale trains are 1:76, in comparison to HO scale trains which are 1:87...

According to Wikipedia:
OO scale uses the same track gauge as HO scale (3.5 mm to the foot, 1:87). However, the large propulsion mechanisms could not fit into the small British prototypes, so the scale was enlarged to 4 mm to the foot without altering the gauge.

·
Registered
191 Posts
oldpa;

Welcome to ModelTrainForums. As Boston&Maine says, the "scale" is different. However, the "gauge" of OO is the same as HO, and that's probably what you are most concerned about. Check out this article on Scales and Gauges.

Best!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, I was concerned that all of these LOCO's I brought back from the UK I wouldnt be able to use without spending a ton of money on track from there also.
I wont do anything to fancy just around my den but on the wall and elevated.
The large scale 3.5 inch is the loco I want to get running, but that one needs the boiler testing.
again thanks for the reply

1 - 4 of 4 Posts