Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allow me to make a case for imperfect track... indulge me for a moment.

I recently replicated a section of track that existed from the 1920's to the '90's, which ran through the woods, and was full of waves, wiggles, and kinks.
The low speed trains that ran on them were subject to 'hip-wags' nearly the entire way.

Intentionally copying this anomaly (on certain sidings and spurs) can add an ambiance of realism that many are missing out on.

It helps if this rail traffic can be limited to heavily loaded gons, flats, or hoppers... to minimize the wobbles, but experimentation can reveal a threshold.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe the high speed passenger is as perfect as one can make it. The others varying degrees of wiggle.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um... yeah, that's a bit much. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, the wags should be minor and intermittent... not continuous!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I lay much of my track by eye, although I do use a trammel to lay out the curves. I keep the straights reasonably straight, but if a bit of a waggle gets in there it's just more prototypical! Even if the 1:1 scale railroads lay track as straight as a string, it doesn't stay that way for long!

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
One of our members has built an intentional wavering track similar to
that in the video and videoed it...maybe one of our techies can find it.
Think it was HO...and a few years ago.

Don

·
Registered
789 Posts
There's a member in another forum who depicts Maine RRing in stark fall/winter, does A1 excellent scenery, and has tertiary track very bent up like that ! It looks great and runs well too (Forgot his moniker)..So can you...M

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Last time I saw track that wasn't even as bad as that, the train fell off.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Post #11
Because of the high quality / heavier duty power lines, large road locos, and shouldered ballast, this is likely a main line or secondary trackage / branch, where I doubt accident was caused by squiggly, wiggly, bumpity, tertiary or yard trackage ...
The shot alone is not enough to determine cause...Looks wet around there.. Could'a been a washout or sinkhole.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
A few years ago, I took some shots of “imperfect” track in Lansdale, PA. That video of the Maumee and Western makes the track in Lansdale look good.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a section of track that changes depending on the time of year. When humidity is high it has a wave in it and when it’s low that section of track is straight as an arrow

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
While working on my shelf layout I've been using a straightedge as I lay down the mainline (not that it always helps, unfortunately), however on the sidings I just eyeball it. I also intentionally add some wiggles to some of the ties. I'm going to be laying down a small ladder yard soon, I might have to try and add some wiggles to some of the track like this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts