Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may know, I've been upgrading my older TMCC N&W J class to bring it up to more Legacy-like standards. I originally installed one of Gunrunner John's chuff generators for 4 chuffs/revolution as well as a superchuffer for improved lighting and smoke functions. Eventually I had a desire to improve the slow speed performance, as Odyssey let it run slow, but not quite slow enough. An ERR cruise commander M solved that issue, but not without problems for me. I quickly got in over my head, blew up the radio board and had to send it out to Gunrunner John to work his magic. A typical ERR installation is quite simple, but Lionel used a slightly different connector configuration in this locomotive which made things difficult. Anyway, it works great now and I'm very happy with the performance of everything.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Very nice. GRJ could give the big three a run for their money.

·
Admin
43,481 Posts
I'm glad I was able to beat Jake's J Class into submission. I'm super pleased that Scott Mann picked up the ERR stuff, I was truly bummed when Lionel originally closed it down! I'm still fighting the Cruise Commander Lite issue, don't know why Lionel won't license that to 3rd Rail.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is triggering the chuffs? I notice that they drift and are not a true four/revolution.
The chuffs are triggered by one of Gunrunner John's chuff generators, which are sold at Henning's Trains. It reads a tach strip on the motor flywheel so it's generally close to the proper chuffing, but isn't perfect as you noticed. I like it much better than the original two chuff/rev that it had prior to the upgrade though.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I believe Jake may be refering to the fact that the calibration needs to be fine tuned. Instead of 4 chuffs/rev its about 3.7.
It can be made much closer to 4 but it may take a bit of trial and error.

Pete

·
Admin
43,481 Posts
That could well be, when I had it in for repairs, I didn't change the calibration as I just figured that was already installed and "working". :) I just looked at his video, and you're right, looks to be around 3.7-3.8. Not hard to fix, you just have to do a re calibration.

I was referring to the sound operation for some RS4 boards where there's a different note to some of the chuffs, but that one doesn't have that anyway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts