Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to take a chance with Lionel and its 2020 big book.

So I ordered
A Vision GS-1 - I love Northerns and this one looks good, not streamlined. I am intrigued by the clyinder steam effect, too - in my opinion much better "trick" for a loco to do that a disappearing coal load . . .

A Legacy B6sb - like I said earlier today. 0-6-0s are such lovely little locos to run.

So, come on Lionel. do me proud!!!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Half of your Lionel buys last year had fatal to serious flaws out of the box and you are buying two new locos. Reminds me of an expression: Once bitten, twice confident.

·
Registered
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Half of your Lionel buys last year had fatal to serious flaws out of the box and you are buying two new locos. Reminds me of an expression: Once bitten, twice confident.
Or maybe: "Ever hopeful!"

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Or ever the optimist.

After being bitten twice I certainly wouldn't waste my time, money, or sanity, but I do wish you luck.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I saw the pilot version of the GS-1 at Springfield. You won't be disappointed with the detail. Its an impressive looking engine. I think the past few BTO steamers have worked fairly well out of the box including the NYC Niagara and J3a Hudsons. Long term performance of the smoke units is still the question.
Had they done an as delivered version of the GS-1 I would have ordered one but my SP stuff is all pre 1945.

Pete

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Beth at Public Delivery Track just posted the GGD cars she just got from Scott including two sets of SP green Harriman 70' cars. These would be perfect behind a GS-1.

Pete

·
Registered
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They would, but a full train would costs a lot and I don't really have shelf space for another passenger train anyway. Plus, I plan to run freight behind mine - mostly just PFE reefers. Mainly I'm buying this SP GS just because I like Northerns and I like the look, and I am intrigued by the cylinder steam. If it works well, it would be fantastic to watch, although i would think this loco would use up all the smoke fluid pretty fast with all the smoke and steam it was making.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Your going to be spending a lot of money on a engine with a ton of features that can't all be accessed on a conventional only layout, I think. Can all the features be accessed just by the transformer throttle? If the latest Hudson is any indication mechanically and electronically she'll be find but it might be painted pink!:lol_hitting:

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think the past few BTO steamers have worked fairly well out of the box including the NYC Niagara and J3a Hudsons. Long term performance of the smoke units is still the question.
Pete
Pete, I'd be very interested to know why you say that because, with no real evidence at all to back it up, I have thought the same thing.

I have a VL Niagara and am tempted by one of the the VL GS-5 models in the 2020 catalog, subject to convincing myself that it will not be a(nother) BTO lemon. The Niagara of course has multiple smoke units, including one in the tender for the water scoop effect. I was running mine today and noticed that after I derailed it going in reverse over a section of track that was not securely bedded down, and tripping the ZW-L in consequence, on re-starting the stack and whistle smoke was really copious.

I remember that when Lionel issued the Legacy AC-9, there was news that they had changed the code on the smoke units so that the output was noticeably greater. That is consistent with what I have seen in the two engines I have got since that point (an AC-9 and the Niagara). But I don't know if this is reflected in an increase in maintenance difficulty or product life.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have the Vision Niagara which I rarely run and still works. I prefer my upgraded CCII Niagara. Two club members have had to send their Niagaras back to Lionel for repair. The jury is still out on the J3s as far as reliabilty. I am not a fan of Lionel's Legacy RCMC boards. They now have nearly all functionality on one board. Even the receiver module which used to be a separate board is now soldered to the main board. Any problem now and the engine has to go back to Lionel.

Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts