Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Admin
45,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a source for an inexpensive E-Unit for DC motors? I have a cheapie engine that doesn't have an E-Unit, but it's cute, and I want to improve it for my grandson. He's getting bored with it only running in one direction! :D

I've looked at places like Dallee, but they want $40 + shipping for the cheapest alternative, I was hoping to do a bit better than that.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,015 Posts
Page 12 acrobat of suplemental 21, A-49 or S21:3-5

Complete and solder 6 connections. Be Careful with the motor tabs.

Tell him your converting and need a case for it. It's a holder/insulator. The space is tight. Peice is shown here

Page 23 of supplement 32 600-8616-055

·
Admin
45,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a source for a complete wiring diagram for a typical engine, say one using that unit? That would certainly make it easy. I'm guessing this isn't that complicated, connect to the track and the DC motor... There is usually a switch to disable it as well, although I don't really need that to be functional.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,015 Posts
They are the Lionel Supplements under service documents.
You can download and print all 44 of them.:laugh::laugh:
I have them on a disk but I still search the site.

They start with the Modern MPC era 1970 Supp 1-9.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,015 Posts
1-9 is the same. Only one.

You start here

You are computer deficient?
You have to use the scroll bar to show the numbers greater than 37. They go to 47. so click the arrow.Then Click the blue bar to the right and drag.
Neat info Huh?
Between the both of us we are probably slowing down their server.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,015 Posts
It may be busy. It may be best to start at the home page. Then follow their menu. I guess Lionel is their index page.

My last "under line" link is the only one I know.

You go Lionel.....
CustomerService.......
service documents

Click on my first link then find the other two there.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,015 Posts
Glad it workerd out for you. The site is prone to delays etc. It will get worse as the end of the year nears.

Yes they are. The good thing about them is the parts lists. Since pieces are reused if you know the modern car number you can use the part for a postwar.The color may be an ugly GREEN or something but it will work. I forget how long it took me to find those two pages the first time, ever. I converted an 8161 awhile back. Actually I got the board from a well used 8604 for 20 bucks. The 8604 now runs on my DC trolley line.

·
Admin
45,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm glad I found this resource, since I've been away from Lionel trains for about 50 years, it's interesting getting back into the mix. I'm a EE by trade, so this stuff isn't a mystery, but there's a lot to learn about specifics. :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,771 Posts
They are the Lionel Supplements under service documents.
You can download and print all 44 of them.:laugh::laugh:
I have them on a disk but I still search the site.

They start with the Modern MPC era 1970 Supp 1-9.

T, do they make the same thing for under 1970 Lionel?

·
Yard Master & Research
11,015 Posts
If you are into making circuits, check out the technical theads or just google rob paisley or Bowden for links.They show the diagrams. I am self taught from reading the web. I just grab a diagram and make it. With luck it works. I do so much of it, it has turned into a second hobby.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,015 Posts
T, do they make the same thing for under 1970 Lionel?
Ed, you just have study them. You can apply a lot to postwar but there are none. The best you can do is get a service manual or one of their old set catalogs which are manuals. Postwar era ends in 1969. MPC starts up.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,771 Posts
Ed, you just have study them. You can apply a lot to postwar but there are none. The best you can do is get a service manual or one of their old set catalogs which are manuals. Postwar era ends in 1969. MPC starts up.

I was just wondering if they had them online too for post and prewar.

Thanks T, I didn't have anything for the modern period.

And though I saw these when you posted them before, I couldn't figure out how to get to the home page until you posted how.

Now I got them all downloaded.

Do they make any hard copies (manuals) of the MPC?

·
Yard Master & Research
11,015 Posts
No, since the material is free.
It is offered on all the service disks. I have a copy that costs 99 cents along with it came the Lionel catalogs for certain years and some of the booklets. Ed one of the first things I did was search for information.

Important forum/internet info I copied and filed away.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts