Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if I'm asking this question in the wrong place.

I just inherited 2 Fleishmann HO scale locomotives and are wondering what they might be worth.

They are both in the original boxes, even though the boxes are a little tattered.

The first one is a locomotive with tender, Union Pacific with the number 1366 on the side

The second one is just the locomotive with the number 65014

These are pretty old and are from Germany when my dad was stationed there in the mid 1960's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hi Joe,

The black and red one looks like a Deutsche Bundesbahn (German railway) BR 65. Nice loco, right up my alley.

The other one looks like a Mikado I believe.

You could try search eBay for models like these in the Fleischmann category.

I might take a look later and see if I can find a similar on for you. But in a nutshell, I doubt they would be worth more than $50-60 each, also depends on the condition and if they run. I could be wrong though.

What are the numbers on the box? Might help tracking down the value a little easier.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Nice locomotives... TR is right, they don't do well except in collectors circles because few people want engines that are not at least digitally convertible, something old Fleischman cannot do. The technical advances in the hobby are leaving old school equipment in the dust bins of most hobby shops, making it a good market for guys like me who can appreciate them for what they are and are willing to do the work necessary to keep them running. Art imitates life in this hobby and the ready to run, easy to maintain,, minutely detailed is quickly pushing out the old stuff. I would enjoy them as a keepsake, if not, Ebay is your best bet to get the most you can for the pieces as they sit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No numbers on the box, just "Made in Western Germany"

I appreciate it guys....Thanks allot

Joe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Inherited

Can you call out the # of wheels? a 4-6-2 wojuld have 4 truck wheels up front, 6 drive wheels in the center, and 2 truck wheels in the rear. The more drive wheels, the more value on the loco. a 4-8-4 is very expensive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fleishman trains donated

Try to call out the wheels. A 4-6-2 would be an engine with 4 truck floating wheel on the front, 6 drive wheels, and 2 truck wheels in the rear. The more drive wheels, the more the engine is worth. I have seen a 4-8-4 engine worth $250 to a collector.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,898 Posts
More Steam

Those pictures are great! and you have the original boxes too.
Old Fleischmann is not too common on this side of the Great Pond.Now, with a global economy, times are changing.
I recently cleaned up a Feischmann for a friend. Corrosion was getting bad.It doesn't have an engine. Judge for yourself.I left one side of the tender original.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Hey Joe,

Just stumbled on this old thread. I have the same Fleischmann "1366" 4-6-2. My understanding is that this is circa 1959 - 1962, built specifically for the US market. (Euro models had the black and red paint schemes.)

It wasn't until looking at photos of YOUR train that I "discovered" the "1366-67" tag on the front boiler cover of MY train! Go figure ...I gotta get a magnifying glass!

Regards,
TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,898 Posts
Here is the picture. To display.
Nothing wrong with thread revival. I had forgotten about these pictures.
I use a 3/32 nut driver for the driver wheel nuts and had to make a wrench for the center wheel. I need to find that thread,

This is very similiar to the cast Mantua Locomotives I do not own these but have worked on them. You may want to look at their postings.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Fleischmann HO 1366 Owner's Brochure

T-Man,

Thanks! For your (and others) reference, attached are jpg scans of the original Owner's Brochure of the Fleischmann HO 1366-series locos. Not too detailed (no schematics, drawings), but note English comments on Page 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear joeF.
Sorry for my late response, but I am a litle bit courius to hear what the outcome regarding the prices for the locomotive with 1366 on the side is.
I got one of my mum from my childhood the other day, and I remember that I was playing with it in middle of 1950.
I have search all over the internet and I ended up here. With the risk that you problaly is no longer registrated.
Could you give me somthing that I can inverstergate futher on. It is maybe not a lot worth.
Thank you in advance.
/ Lars Helsboel
Denmark
Ps. You can reach me here: [email protected]. (the last two letters is dk)

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Lars,

I've seen them on occasion on ebay in the range of around $50 to $120 or so, depending on condition.

There may have been one with an original good condition box that was a bit higher in price.

TJ

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I bought one on eBay a little over a year ago for $35 plus shipping.(yes, I sniped it) I had an anticipation after reading many articles about Fleischmann products and was disappointed in the engine's overall performance and detail. Even after "tweaking" it a bit, it didn't meet the expectations brought by the numerous reviews. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I'd never buy another.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newby question on Fleischmann 1366-67

Hi there: I just signed up! My father bought me a train set with this loco (1366-67)around 1965. I brought it to the local train shop recently and they cleaned it a little with goo gone and got it running again. I read the post with the owner's brochure and it noted not to take the motor apart? I want to give it a good cleaning and lube, replace the brushes, new headlight. From the coversation it is not worth very much. Perhaps not even worth the trouble to restore... I'm new to this so any advice would be appreciated. Thx

1 - 20 of 24 Posts