Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, if I was just going with small buildings 6" might not be so bad. I am also keeping in mind that plywood and homasote or foam will eat into the 6". I also wanted to have a little bit of an elevation in some area of the layout. It would be nice to have something that is in view all the time but that might be better done with N scale.

After doing some measuring I now know that I can go 4' by 5'10" which gives me a scooch more room. I am really inspired by what this person did with 4' x 6.5'. Most people would have settled for a simple loop but this person has a lot going on in that small space. Here is a link to his video http://youtu.be/BOSgR1n4030

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
And hows that layout coming? Looks like just plain wood still.
Hey gc, :)

Right now, the real world is taking precedence over the train world. So the layout has been on hold while I'm installing tile on our staircase, and building a concrete streambed to channel the runoff in the rainy season. :rolleyes:

Greg

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yeah, if I was just going with small buildings 6" might not be so bad. I am also keeping in mind that plywood and homasote or foam will eat into the 6". I also wanted to have a little bit of an elevation in some area of the layout. It would be nice to have something that is in view all the time but that might be better done with N scale.

After doing some measuring I now know that I can go 4' by 5'10" which gives me a scooch more room. I am really inspired by what this person did with 4' x 6.5'. Most people would have settled for a simple loop but this person has a lot going on in that small space. Here is a link to his video http://youtu.be/BOSgR1n4030
I keep forgetting how small HO really is. My 4x8 uses HO scale engines and HO scale cars but the buildings are porclain ones and everytime I place an HO scale building next to them it makes me chuckle the huge difference in size and makes me marvel at what I could put on my 4x8 if I had gone with all HO scale things but it was a beginner layout and was meant around Christmas so I can't wait to start my large garage layout that will be trully all HO scale, oooh the possibilitys. :D

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hey gc, :)

Right now, the real world is taking precedence over the train world. So the layout has been on hold while I'm installing tile on our staircase, and building a concrete streambed to channel the runoff in the rainy season. :rolleyes:

Greg
Sorry to hear about that, I was really liking your small sized trains and the great idea of your layout.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I guess I narrowed it down this evening. I decided to go 4' x 5'10" so I can slip it under my bed. Playing with the layout software and watching other layouts this size does not prepare you for JUST HOW HUGE THIS THING IS! I don't know what I was thinking when I thought I would be able to get this thing in my Corolla. After tying it to my roof I was surprised and delighted when I got home and the board was still on the roof.

What I got is a sheet of 1/2 OSB which after I got home and checked some of the forums I found out that some people aren't crazy about. The only problem I have is that I should have had it cut to 3.5' as there are 6" that extend from the bottom of my futon frame. I am not sure if I want to keep that or not. When getting out of bed I doubt that I will step on it and when the futon frame is folded up like a couch I can slide the layout back so that none of it extends past the edge of the futon. My landlord has offered to lend me her circular saw but I have never used one.

I guess it's more of an aesthetic thing than a practical one.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I think making it have city blocks would be neat so maybe making it more squarish and lots of switchs for the turns.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes, the front part of the layout will be a gritty urban scene complete with pawn shops and dive bars. The 2 loops will pass each other. If I do my homework I can figure how to make the trolleys stop at certain points. If I were to run 3 different tracks which would be the best way to run them? 3 different transformers?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
DCC is the only way to effectivly and cheaply run 3 trollies at the same time with different stopping points. You could do it with 3 power packs but the wiring for the layout would be a nightmare to say the least. There are several different methods to set up a layout with stopping points around the place. I have a unit that allows my trolly to stop at a location wait a few then reverse and run back the other way. It is all done automaticly and via light sensors. The light sensors work good in most conditions but will not work in the dark. For night operations you would need an auto reverse or automated sensor setup that uses infrared sensors. They usually dont cost that much more but they do have some extra setup. The infra red do not care about how bright or now dim the room is.

Massey

·
Registered
322 Posts
looks like this will be a fun layout.

If I do my homework I can figure how to make the trolleys stop at certain points. If I were to run 3 different tracks which would be the best way to run them? 3 different transformers?
some one else will probaly know where, but i remember seeing a trolly set up (on here?) that used an auto reverser, as it was a small scene in the over all layout. maybe you could set up one of the trolly lines like that while your manually running the others.

...My landlord has offered to lend me her circular saw but I have never used one...
any woman that has her own circular saw is alright :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I did a Trolly on one of my full room layouts. It had 2 stops and it was totally automated. Here are a few pics.

I used an autoreverser with photosensors. This worked great in the daylight but I could not run the trolly in the dark. If I had used infrareds I could have ran the trolly any time.

Massey

·
Registered
958 Posts
Have you considered your overhead system. I just got a vintage Pennsylvania Scale Models overhead wiring system for my pike. and you really can electrify your road like the real thing. My Bowser is wired up to use overhead wiring, and I actualy fancy that a whole lot better than standard feeds for HO!!! Ofcource, wire for show is okay too, but how fun would it be to run your trolley's like real ones???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Have you considered your overhead system. I just got a vintage Pennsylvania Scale Models overhead wiring system for my pike. and you really can electrify your road like the real thing. My Bowser is wired up to use overhead wiring, and I actualy fancy that a whole lot better than standard feeds for HO!!! Ofcource, wire for show is okay too, but how fun would it be to run your trolley's like real ones???
How much experience should one have in the hobby before tackling a project such as this?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,608 Posts
I use a timer for my reverse. I was never excited about photo sensors. Recently another method of detection has been used. I just haven't fully researched it yet. The optoisolator occupancy detector. It senses curent flow in the track section.

Here is a link if you are interested.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Bachmann Spectrum DCC Birney does 4-inch radius quite nicely. I suspect it will do 3-inch curves, but can't get the flextrack to bend that low.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Old thread; any updates?

I've had HO layouts on as small as 18" x 60". With three loops inside. Trolley and 0-4-0 switcher action. Always interested in seeing tight-radius layouts.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Also available

Thanks for your input. I realize that the design will need some tweaking. I am not expert enough to get Xtrkcad to do exactly what I want. At your suggestion I have downloaded Anyrail and will spend some time getting to know how it works.

I am thinking that I would be better served with an N scale layout if I just have 3.5' by 5.5' to work with but I already bought a couple of HO scale trolleys and I really love some of the buildings available in HO scale.

Thanks for your input.
Subway Fugitive (aka Doug Berman?)

The same trolleys and many of the same buildings, are available in N-scale too. I like your idea of long narrow modules. That should give the trolleys a longer run, and the layout a more realistic look, also better access. If you plan on building overhead for your trolleys, I bought some phosphor bronze .013" "Artistic wire" on Amazon. It makes very nice N-scale catenary for my Milwaukee Road layout.

regards;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts