Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Be sure to read PortLine's Repair item #41 when you reassemble the transformer. There is an article I read several years ago with detailed diagrams of the internal variations of 30B and 22080 transformers, I will see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
When I opened my Lionel ZW transformer to replace the rollers I cleaned the coil with
a green ScotchBrite pad. Made it look new. That got rid of the path of the rollers. Your
rollers look like they need replaced. At least that one.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thankyou iam going ro a small show tomorrow i will pick up 2 rollers with the other stuff i ordered. From this vender i buy from. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
There are two styles of the 30B transformer. You have the type with the wipers attached to the coil, this is the more reliable design. The type in the instruction photos is with the wipers attached to the turrets. The wires sometimes broke inside the insulation on this style.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks makes me feel better i bought a good one i wanted one because i wanted to run two trains. Bought it on e bay 140.00. Other question i was reading didnt see it can the gauge be recalibrated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Recommend you look at the repair info on the tranz4mr.com/af_30b site. There is not a zero adjustment setting on these meters. You need to compare the meter reading at 0V, 7V, 12V and full scale to see how far off and how linear the error is. It may be possible to correct the readings by slightly rotating the silver backing with the markings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts