Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I read the steven ambrose book on this -- good read, supposedly has some facts wrong but there were so many facts that I couldn't remember anyway, that I didn't worry with it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I don't think most of the facts are but some are -- however the casual reader won't know it and won't recall it anyway.

I just think Ambrose who wrote in a very readable style developed "a machine" to crank these books out and some were more fact checked than others.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
My point is that readers will go around thinking the "facts" are real, and may likely spread those "facts" to others who will believe them.....maybe there's something to this "fake news" after all.....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I was thinking about another book of his I read which was about Merriweather Lewis. It ties in a little to the rail project across the country because it was a generation or so before it... and by the time the rails came through plains indian was all but destroyed. the rails put the final knife in ... but when Lewis and Clark came through, they were pretty much intact with limited european interaction up to then or none at all.
anyway, these are good books but I just noticed the criticism on the rail one on wikipedia ... but like I said I cant' remember any specific fact except the wow-ness of it all for the time which came through in the book.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think most of the facts are but some are -- however the casual reader won't know it and won't recall it anyway.

I just think Ambrose who wrote in a very readable style developed "a machine" to crank these books out and some were more fact checked than others.[/QUOTEhttps://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=178988]

"My point is that readers will go around thinking the "facts" are real, and may likely spread those "facts" to others who will believe them.....maybe there's something to this "fake news" after all..... " Old Hobo

Facts are as facts do. They are always a matter of perspective. I was only impressed by some of what was said and also seeing the photos. Why take it all so seriously?:eek:hwell:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts