Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Atlas O FM Erie Limited Edition Olympian Hiawatha Locomotive Milwaukee Road set 642988012349 | eBay

Not sure where this will end up but I put an $1100 bid in and was outbid. This is a holy grail high end item and I simply can not chase it. Will it end at $1,500? $2,000?

bmartz has a later iteration of the Hiawatha Erie Built Diesel which I would not mind having. I follow and collect Milwaukee Road and like some Rock Island Diesels and the Atlas CB & Q Zephyr passenger cars, scarcity has created this feeding frenzy among those of us looking for signature pieces.

I have the Lionel E-6 A A in Milwaukee Road which is very nice, and I have a Williams E7 A A which even though it is a Williams I like it a lot and will run it.

BUT - in the late 1940's following WW 2, Milwaukee Road made a statement with the so-called "Erie Built" FM's and to my knowledge only Atlas here, and MTH made versions. The Erie Builts went to Milwaukee Road shops after delivery for the addition of the huge wrap around stainless steel band you see on the front of this Atlas model, plus other outstanding details - to specifically run the Olympian Hiawatha. (Some of you may know this).

Run with an MTH Premier passenger set as I have would be an awesome statement piece for most layouts. I might reluctantly need to buy bmartz set to get close to the feeling.

✅MTH PREMIER MILWAUKEE ROAD FM ERIE BUILT AB DIESEL ENGINE PROTO 2! 20-2488-1 F3 | eBay

·
Registered
560 Posts
It ended at $1750 with $78.98 shipping.

Reactions: beachhead2

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I bought an estate collection recently, just full of Milwaukee Road equipment. You may have seen my string of PS-2 hoppers I have posted F/S. I have an MTH Erie Built A-B set, with PS2, showing some use, but still EX+ to LN in the box. I also have several scale length Hiawatha passenger cars. All of it has been run, but in beautiful condition. I know very little about MTH and this later production stuff. I do not have the correct power supply or the knowledge to properly test the operational qualities of the loco, so will be selling it untested. I have one set of Hiawatha passenger cars that are unmarked that are just gorgeous. No boxes, so I don’t know who made them. I’ll post a few photos later today. Please let me know if anyone is interested, or I will just list it all on eBay. Allen Drucker

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allen:
There are 2 MTH Erie Builts - I believe - looking at the photos above in my original post one is like the Atlas and the other one is like the 2nd ebay auction by ebay dealer bmartz. Bmartz has had that AB at $699.99 plus shipping for 3 months Buy It Now take ot or leave it and nobody has purchased it.

All of us Milwaukee Road geeks have seen it so one can presume the market for that might be less.

The other MTH auction I have seen for an Erie built was for a non powered A like the Atlas one. It too was Premier. I offered $299 to the seller, also a dealer, and he said the best he could do is $325. Well, after 3 weeks around the horn it took off and I believe it ended at $475 or so. For a non powered A stand alone, that's big money.

I have MTH Milwaukee Road Premier Hiawatha passenger sets. I also ordered from 2020 vol 1 the DL109-110 and Hiawatha in Premier, a $1500 commitment that has not been made yet, or at least I have not received it.

If you have the "banded" FM Erie built even if you can't test it, it's likely worth $1000 now. $1750? Maybe since rich folks were the ones bidding.

By comparison the 2020 vol 1 MTH AB DL109 is $749.99.

Ultimately I would like a couple of Es, which I have, the DL109-110 and one of the 2 Erie Built sets but I have been a big spender the last 4 years and still no layout. I am 5 years away probably from a decent landscaped layout, one year away from running trains on my bare layout.

If you have the 1st set in the original banded style, used and untested, I would buy it for $600 plus shipping but in full transperancy this is a $1000 set in my opinion, minimum. This last auction brought out the heavy hitters.

If you have the 2nd set same as bmartz then I can't tell what the market is. That one has had full saturation. I just think in some cases it is best to have an honest to goodness ebay auction starti g at a reasonable price. Then you get eyeballs, bidding commences and that set might go for more than bmartz Buy It Now price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts