Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've lived in Los Angeles since 1978. I remember well seeing the SP livery all over ..I used to drive right up to a turntable in Taylor yard (now gone/replaced with MetroLink shops)..
They had a Krauss Maffei parked there at one time..
Great photography here...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Man, those PAs are so cool!!

Reactions: LateStarter

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've lived in Los Angeles since 1978. I remember well seeing the SP livery all over ..I used to drive right up to a turntable in Taylor yard (now gone/replaced with MetroLink shops)..
They had a Krauss Maffei parked there at one time..
Great photography here...
That Kraut at Taylor was the camera car, same one that’s being beautifully restored at Niles canyon, Taylor was quite the place way back when

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Did Taylor yard have a hump track ? I remember driving next to one. But it was so long ago I'm not completely sure I saw it or I just dreampt it or was a pic I saw.

But, please explain what you mean by "was the camera car". Camera car for what ?
It's the German made locomotive I'm referring to.

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
It’s all explained here, easy to find, actually.....:)

Southern Pacific 9010 is a KM ML 4000 C'C' diesel-hydraulic locomotive, built in 1964 by German manufacturer Krauss-Maffei for the Southern Pacific Railroad. SP 9010 generated 4,000 horsepower (3,000 kW) from two 2,000 horsepower (1,500 kW) V16Maybach MD870 diesel engines. It was painted to Southern Pacific's 1958 standard, the so-called "bloody nose" colors of Scarlet and Lark Dark Gray, for its entire operating career. It was renumbered to SP 9113 in late 1965, rebuilt extensively at SP's Sacramento General Shops (later Sacramento Locomotive Works) during the latter half of 1966, and was initially retired in 1968. It was revived and rebuilt by Sacramento General Shops into a "camera car" for the purpose of shooting motion picture background plates for a ground-based full-motion locomotive training simulator. As camera car number 8799, it was retired in 1984 and donated to the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, California.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did Taylor yard have a hump track ? I remember driving next to one. But it was so long ago I'm not completely sure I saw it or I just dreampt it or was a pic I saw.

But, please explain what you mean by "was the camera car". Camera car for what ?

Old hobo sent an excellent link, the camera car used to occupy one of the whisker track at Taylor, it also sat in the diesel facility for some time at West Colton , it degraded to deplorable condition while in the backlot at Sacramento, and I heard once that if the PLA hadn’t taken it when CSRM offered it to them that it was slated for scrapping, never been able to confirm that, and yes Taylor was actually a hump yard originally, that function was long dormant by the time I started going there, used to love pacing trains along San Fernando Rd, as there was literally just a curb separating the road from the track, I can remember going to Dodger stadium as a kid and going up the hill you could see Taylor diesel shop and it seemed like there were thousands of locomotives down there, just imagine someday the same fate may befall West Colton as urban sprawl keeps marching outward

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
📌
Trackiockey05
PS
One tiny detail I noticed in the 3rd photo down with the Black Widow themed locos, is that as modelers, myself included, we would have naturally made this main line curve a perfect circle.
Notice the 1:1 scale did not !!
The first 4-5 cars behind the, count 'em, six engines, look to be in a nearly-straight track section within the curve. But perhaps we're seeing some kind of 'easement' leading to/from a sharper segment(s) of the total curve. Something to ponder next time we're installing a mainline curve ! "Hmm.... Is it too perfect ?".
There were two turntables at Taylor..After yard became defunct I walked both of them..
To this day I see the rail action on San Fernando Rd. as well as fav train areas in L.A.!!
And, so I did then drive along a working hump like I remembered !! Cool !!
They didn't chase you then..And that close you're hiding in plain site !!

Thanks LateStarter for all the entries..

·
Registered
992 Posts
As interesting as the Krauss-Maffei engines may have looked, their hydraulic drive system (instead of the standard "diesel-electric" system) proved to be a failure in real-world usage, hence their relatively short service lives.

Some of the SP SD's, on the other hand, were still running 40 years later...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Bendix King "wagon wheel" antenna. Elevated feed 1/4 wave ground plane.

Reactions: Stumpy

·
Registered
126 Posts
📌
Trackiockey05
PS
One tiny detail I noticed in the 3rd photo down with the Black Widow themed locos, is that as modelers, myself included, we would have naturally made this main line curve a perfect circle.
Notice the 1:1 scale did not !!
The first 4-5 cars behind the, count 'em, six engines, look to be in a nearly-straight track section within the curve. But perhaps we're seeing some kind of 'easement' leading to/from a sharper segment(s) of the total curve. Something to ponder next time we're installing a mainline curve ! "Hmm.... Is it too perfect ?".
There were two turntables at Taylor..After yard became defunct I walked both of them..
To this day I see the rail action on San Fernando Rd. as well as fav train areas in L.A.!!
And, so I did then drive along a working hump like I remembered !! Cool !!
They didn't chase you then..And that close you're hiding in plain site !!

Thanks LateStarter for all the entries..
Its actually a short tangent between curves, on my territory I have a 3 mile stretch with 5 3 degree curves, 3 of them have short tangents between them and when viewed on a track chart or profile they appear as 1 long curve, looking at that pic, and the challenging terrain, I'm betting there are many curves there, there are actually 5 components to the curve, short spiral, spiral, full body, spiral, and short spiral, technically 3, but the average curve will have a spiral and short spiral leading in and out either end of the full body, sometimes you go through several short spirals, and short tangent combinations depending on the terrain

1 - 20 of 119 Posts