Model Train Forum banner
301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I wonder how slowly and untrustingly the engineers proceeded through that spaghetti pile?!

Reactions: LateStarter

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Crossing gate at upper right by the little brown shack
I saw that but don't think it's a crossing gate because there is no road crossing the tracks. I think what appears to be some type of road or driveway goes behind the shack but doesn't go over the tracks. There is only grass on the other side of the tracks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It is in fact a road crossing IN73/S Broad St, looked the location up on google street view, the EL line is no longer there, its the Erie Lackawanna trail now

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
It is in fact a road crossing IN73/S Broad St, looked the location up on google street view, the EL line is no longer there, its the Erie Lackawanna trail now
I'm just going by the photo itself and not by what it looks like now. There is what looks like a gravel area behind the brown shed that does not cross the tracks. On the opposite side of the gravel area is just grass and a small white structure. The vertical black and white object to the left of the brown shed does look like it could be a crossing gate but at the time of the photo there is no crossing at that spot.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Gramps, there are crossing gates way back in the background, thank goodness. Can you image having to check all that rail before crossing! The probably had people go out an halt traffic before the installation of the gates.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The one you would see approaching from the right is circled. It is back far enough to be effective no matter which track has the crossing train. The one you would see if you were approaching from the left is outside the picture.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The one you would see approaching from the right is circled. It is back far enough to be effective no matter which track has the crossing train. The one you would see if you were approaching from the left is outside the picture.

View attachment 562941
Trains typically run on the right parallel track. I don't see any gate that would protect the crossing from a train travelling from the upper right of the photo toward the crossing on the right main. The circled object, which is what we are discussing, would protect the crossing only for a train running on the left main.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
KCS polished stainless cabs
StainlessKCS-Denny-0946s.jpg
StainlessKCS-Barnes-p1151c.JPG

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I hate following trucks that have stainless steel or polished aluminum on their trailer doors or mud flaps. The reflected sun and headlights is very distracting. If the sun lined up just right, these cars could be blinding if you were driving on a road that paralleled the tracks!

301 - 317 of 317 Posts