Model Train Forum banner
361 - 380 of 443 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I like the old days when passenger trains were headed by "passenger style" locomotives, such as the PAs and Fs. These modern trains look like someone stopped by a freight yard and grabbed an engine. It's a very nice photo, though.
UP used to put their E units up front on these trains, not sure why they stopped using them, haven't seen them in several years

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
From left to right; Chesapeake & Ohio E8A #4026; Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac E8A #1001; Seaboard Coast Line E7A #529; and Southern Railway FP7 #6149 rest at the Ivy City engine terminal in Washington, D.C. on April 29, 1970. Marty Bernard collection.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Lets go to the 21st century...

ABe 4/4 III

Ge 4/4

Ge 4/4 II

Bernina Express ABe 4/4 III 'Tirano' #53, my HOm locomotive's namesake.

Reactions: Chaostrain

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
Very nice….although you need a lot of expensive infrastructure to go electric….

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Over the long haul it's cheaper than Diesel. At least they must think so.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Frisco 2-8-2
Mansfield, MO.

Train Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

Reactions: Magic

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
I really like the S6 switchers, it’s a shame no one has produced a plastic model yet
Maybe its because they only made 126 of them, and most of them went to private companies or small minor railways…?

And SP owned most of them (70), so unless you model SP, who would buy one…?

Interesting tid-bit though….In the movie Back to the Future Part III, an S-6 locomotive destroyed the DeLorean time machine, when it returned to 1985.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Maybe its because they only made 126 of them, and most of them went to private companies or small minor railways…?

And SP owned most of them (70), so unless you model SP, who would buy one…?

Interesting tid-bit though….In the movie Back to the Future Part III, an S-6 locomotive destroyed the DeLorean time machine, when it returned to 1985.
The S6 in the Back to the Future movie was on the Ventura county railway, from my hometown, it was also an ex SP unit, and being an SP modeler I’d buy several, Pacific Northwest resins offered an S6 Shell for a little while but it disappeared from their offerings

361 - 380 of 443 Posts