Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

Registered
馃搶
Could it be the one I walked near at Taylor [post #2] ? Euro RRs like(d) those slanted cab side-windows, beginning in steam...
It does have (or had) a logic to it. But it never seemed to take hold in the new world..
Great shots of 'em, anyway !

Registered
There's something about those PA's, I just don't like them. Too boxy and not boxy enough at the same time. But you guys go ahead and have fun with them...
I agree and my theory about that is because of the additional equipment needed for passenger service, the length of the unit appears out of proportion to the width. I feel the same way about E units. I do like the look of the FA and F units. Just my thoughts FWIW.

Registered
That looks like a '63 Bonneville or Tempest there.

Registered
馃搶
Could it be the one I walked near at Taylor [post #2] ? Euro RRs like(d) those slanted cab side-windows, beginning in steam...
It does have (or had) a logic to it. But it never seemed to take hold in the new world..
Great shots of 'em, anyway !
The slanted windows on the cabs are to allow the engines to fit within the European loading gauge, which curves inward at the top in order to clear tunnel portals. The Krauss-Maffei Southern Pacific and Rio Grande Diesels were built in Germany and, in order to run trials with them on German rails, they had to have the slanted cab windows. SP crews hated them because, in wet weather, the water dripped off the top of the window frames and hit the crews on the head when they leaned out the window!
If you look at modern European rolling stock, you'll still see this taper on the upper part of the sides of lococmotives and, more prominently, on the upper level of double deck passenger coaches cars - unlike the design of commuter cars in North America where the loading gauge is much more rectangular.

Registered
I鈥檝e only ever seen these in B&W, didn鈥檛 realize there were color pics of them, too bad Espee didn鈥檛 take them, I鈥檇 love to see one in full lettering

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I鈥檝e only ever seen these in B&W, didn鈥檛 realize there were color pics of them, too bad Espee didn鈥檛 take them, I鈥檇 love to see one in full lettering
You're correct.
They were painted red and gray with the red wings, but no other lettering or numbering. They may have been intended to occupy the 7200-7202 range but never did.
EMD eventually sold them to UP.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
URO
Unidentified Railed Object.
No clue!

MW, but for what?
Steel cabin.
Mine sweeper?
No-Idea_007.jpg

Premium Member
That鈥檚 a shoving platform.....just like a caboose.

From my understanding union rules in many places prohibit shoving a cut of cars more than x distance without someplace for the conductor to stand normally. On short shoves they will just hang on the last car; but if you're going a long distance that really sucks.

Rather than provide a caboose, which has an interior to maintain and such they built platforms like the ones you see which give a safe place to stand but can be left outside with basically zero maintenance.....

Registered
Yes, transfer caboose, SP built several variations of these using old steam locomotive tender frames and on flatcars, Bayshore, Los Angeles, and Houston built them, SP had many unique pieces of equipment, these transfer cabooses are some of the lesser known

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I guess I shoulda' known...
It fits the profile. :(

41 - 60 of 77 Posts