Model Train Forum banner

161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not much of the U25B was reused... only the trucks, traction motors, frame, main generator, cab and nose. The long hood was rebuilt 10 inches higher, and 4 inches wider to accommodate the Sulzer engine.

The color scheme was an experimental variation designed by Chester Mack in 1978. Microscale has a decal sheet - 60-186 or 87-186 for the paint scheme.
They actually did use the long hoods on these, one of my Strapac books has an in progress pic showing the modifications being made to raise the height of them, these things actually showed up for sale on Ozark mountain railcar a few years back, sadly not even one was saved, and they were scrapped, IIRC they were asking around $28K apiece for them

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
"...fire hydrants in the terminal. I can't believe I didn't think of that,"

I would guess no one has thought of that, it's your amazing attention to detail.

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
"Well? Where is everybody?!"
Springfield, Mo.

SpringfieldMo-dzm02.jpg

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I have an Alco U25B brass loco, nice to have more info on it. It does operate, but its not DCC yet - another future project.

Someone forgot to weather than Caboose!

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
A whole buncha' beautiful Geeps
Unfortunately, they're all marching off to scrap.

GP7's-SprinfieldMo.dy09.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
I'm curious about the purpose of putting a freight car between each Geep. :unsure:
I'm not sure either, but there's a car between each pair.
It's definitely a far-fetched way to dead-head.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
Spacers.....if one should catch fire, the other locomotives would be isolated from the one on fire by the spacer cars.....

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Spacers.....if one should catch fire, the other locomotives would be isolated from the one on fire by the spacer cars.....
But the caption said they were all going to scrap, so why worry?
They don't put cars between locomotives in a consist.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
That’s because the locomotives are manned.....these are sitting out in the open, technically abandoned, desolate, leaking who knows what, possible explosion risk, grass fires could spread, attracting perhaps nefarious individuals, etc....

CFD got tired of responding to fires on abandoned rail equipment in isolated areas, so they had similar safety measures in place with the railways.....

And they do put cars between locomotives and hazardous material cars.....take notice the next time you see a tank train.....

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Take notice?
That's pretty much common knowledge.

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
I am definitely gonna model this!
Explorer-Sinclair_01c.jpg