Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stumbled upon this......and found it interesting enough to share here.....

Majel Barrett, who played Nurse Chapel in the original Star Trek TV series, also provided the voice of automated railroad-defect detectors for the Union Pacific and other railroads. Her voice can be heard on railroad radio channels throughout the nation.

She was also married to Gene Roddenberry, the creator of the original Star Trek......

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She was born in 1932, so she would have been 13 years old when World War II ended.......?

Edit......oh I see, Hedy Lamar did that inventing.....that's what happens when a thread goes away from the original topic......

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hobo, you must have something wrong there.. Though thread meandered away from your OP, Lamar did work on or invent these systems. Wikipedia her....

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nothing wrong....read my last line again,,,,,,
Sorry old snark bark, I'm confused ..Do you still believe "she was 13 years old when WW II ended" ?
"that's what happens when a thread goes off orig topic". IE. What happens ?
I've experienced my own OPs going off topic, and it sucks. Do you mean you were being sarcastic with the "13" thing as to make an example of what going of topic does to an OPer ?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I meant that Majel Barrett (the original subject) was 13 years old when the war ended.....she was born in 1932, and the war ended in 1945.....that is a 13 year difference......

Did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
She actually co-invented the frequency-hopping spread spectrum which was a way to jam the enemies torpedoes.
Kind of. Hedy and her co-inventor came up with the idea to prevent Allied torpedoes from being jammed by enemy signals. However, the Navy did not adopt their idea until well after the war was over.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
What kind of music gets played on "railroad radio channels throughout the nation. "
What nation too?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts