Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several of us here have a layout utilizing intermodal trains, but has anyone built a loading or operations facility to their layout? I'm trying to design one for my layout, but am having a heck of a time finding pics of anything. Anyone have any good pics or ideas?

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
You looking for boat to train or train to truck? I'm going to "pave" the (3) fiddle tracks in my yard and get a Kelmar (sp?) crane. Basically a giant forktruck with a grapple instead of forks to grip the containers. This would be the train to truck part. Some marked off parking spaces for trucks/intermodal trailers and a few rows of containers would make the scene (maybe a small office)

You could also (and I think it would be incredible to detail) a dock scene with a large container ship - & big overhead crane to unload containers from the ship to the rail cars. (You can also go straight to truck at this type.) There is one intermodal crane I've seen that is around $400 but is fully functional and DCC compatible. Maybe some day on my dream layout.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well I've found my inspiration.. Lol thanks for the map link that gives us a lot of ideas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts