Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure if this is the correct forum for this. Excuse me if it should be in the Structures Forum instead. I would like to have an intermodel yard on my layout but, I am finding to have enough containers is costly. I have thought about scratch building some with flat sides and either painting or using some decals on them. My question is, have you build any containers? Was it easy? I am thinking about mainly using 40' containers. How did you detail the end of the containers?

Thanks for helping me out.

Mike

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I found the cheapest way to build up the intermodal count is to by them used at train shows. Typically around $1 per 40' container. Less for the 20' containers. Doesn't matter if they are beat up or dirty, it all blends in.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I agree that train shows are great. I've gotten some good deals at various forums.

Also older shops might have old stock of cans at lower prices. Last year I got a couple boxes of Athearn Blue Box 20' cans that came to around a buck a can.

Seems like prices have been going up even for used, but if you're patient deals will arrive.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Ya have to be careful when buyin em though. Some manufacturers design their mounting points different so they won't match up to the standard well car, spine car or other intermodal containers. It's as if they decided to do theirs different so everybody would buy only their stuff.
I think my total container and van count is around 550.

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
What crane or resource would you use?
The only ones I've seen on a layout are the Kibri and Walthers.
I think the Walthers has rubber tires, and can just be placed over a loading area, without needing tracks.
p-38563-38530_z2-800x530.jpg
mi-jack_transliftr_intermodal_crane_933-3222_big.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are some impressive pictures. It gives me inspiration of getting enough containers whether I purchase them or build them. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

·
Registered
636 Posts
There's also the 2 different kinds of Kalmar container stackers from Walthers.

There a few others that may or may not be in production but are fairly common on eBay. I have the kit from Roco, but Faller, Vollmer and Lima all have something to offer.

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
When you get around to it, containers need mounting pins/lugs to mate with wellcars, and with each other (or they'll need to be glued together).
Athearn & Walthers can be made to mate with each other's wellcars, but other brands will be more difficult.

These are Athearn wellcars and containers:
20190529_144612~2.jpg
20190529_142617~2.jpg
20190529_141723~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
Not much info on that website. The problem with paper stuff is it's gotta be grossly underweight... the 'wobblies' for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts