Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
howdy. problem #1 i have intermountain SD40-2 with locsound. i dislike the headlight as it is way to dim. How or can i make it brighter. i have not found a cv # for that.. any info would be greatful. so can it be brighter or am i stuck with dim lights.

OH i should say im working with NCE DCC. love it

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GRRRRR im trying to move this into dcc area. can somebody please move this into the right place DCC area. Thanks

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Sid, I had a couple Kato PA-1s that the headlights were quite yellow. When I had the sound boards installed by Mike Fifer of Fifer Hobby, I asked him to change the lights to a whiter brighter one. He did that, and the new lights are way better than the old ones.

I don't understand LEDs and the resistors that get used with them, but I do know you can change the headlights to better LEDs. Mike did it for me! Someone on here will give you more advice than I can.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sid, I had a couple Kato PA-1s that the headlights were quite yellow. When I had the sound boards installed by Mike Fifer of Fifer Hobby, I asked him to change the lights to a whiter brighter one. He did that, and the new lights are way better than the old ones.

I don't understand LEDs and the resistors that get used with them, but I do know you can change the headlights to better LEDs. Mike did it for me! Someone on here will give you more advice than I can.
ok Thank You ill check with him and see what it cost. i would like for it to be brighter.

·
Registered
762 Posts
FYI - the folks at Fifer Hobby Supply are out-of-town until July 2nd. :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
These locos have ESU boards in them and contain surface mount leds. They are usually pretty bright. They are also not as easy to change as a regular led. Check to be sure the light pipe is in it's correct position, that might be all you need to do.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These locos have ESU boards in them and contain surface mount leds. They are usually pretty bright. They are also not as easy to change as a regular led. Check to be sure the light pipe is in it's correct position, that might be all you need to do.
ok ill have a look. i really love this loco. just wish the lghts were brighter. Thank You

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have these Thank you but nothing worked. i still cannot get the light brighter. must be a on off deal or something. every thing ive tried either kills the light permanently or kills the whole loco, then i have to reset the loco. it simply does not work any way i try. could be im doing it all wrong. I dunno. ive just gave up trying. But Thank You for the links.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
ESU is a PITA when it comes to programming without the programmer. They are excellent decoders and arguably have the best sound available on either side of the Pond, but they are a pain to program.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what is a programmer and where do i get one. One of the reasons i bought the intermountain was that the reviews were great about the sound and the decoders. ? Does the programmer work from computer or is it stand alone ? I thought thats what the NCE controller did was to program too .

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i had to google it. found one but nobody has them in stock. and the others have non us plugs (im sure i could find a us plug to work ) ill keep a look out for one of these. Thank You

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw this when i was googling them . i just dont know about if they have it in stock an are they a good place to do business >? def good price id have to check there shipping charge's first. some of them want waaaay to much for shipping

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have bought from them many times and never had a problem. I just checked and was able to put it in the cart and right below the price they have a place to estimate the shipping. I put my address in and it came up with free shipping but your address may not.(Never know) So yes I would say they are good for doing business with.:smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts