Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 8012 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

Please respond to this thread and introduce yourself!

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello my name is John Underwood and the bad news is I am a newbie. The good news is my endless stream of questions should help get the "forum" ball rolling.

I have two sons that are both into trains. We wanted to start by building a nice little HO 4x8 layout for the younger boy using Thomas stuff. I have a layout in mind I found on line that should do fine and let us run a couple of Thomas trains at one time.

Once our feet are wet we can move on to an N scale for the older boy and a more challenging layout. Let me say thanks in advance for all the information I am sure to get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Introduction

Hi: My name is George. As I state in my profile, I am very keen on model railroading. I have a space 9' x 22' to establish my layout. At the present I am still in the planning stage (keep changing my mind as to the configuation I want). I do want to develope a layout with CTC, block detection, etc. I decided on a Digitrax Empire builder which I have just resently purchased. There are many questions I still need to have answered and I am hoping this forum may be able to help me in answering some. My e address is [email protected]. Drop a line if you get a chance. Bye for now and merry Xmas.
George Kutcher

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi George,

First off: Merry Christmas! Second, welcome to the board. We're a small commuunity right now but I think that will be good for someone like yourself who has many questions - we can have some great discussions!

Let us know when you want to get started!

regards,
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm Nick, just started back into trains when realizing I have a enough room to setup a track in my latest house. I plan on doing a 4x8 HO setup or an L-shape. I ordered up a digitrax zephyr and plan to start work on it heavily after class is over with for the semester. Right now I'll just be tinkering and working on ideas until then. I plan to do 1950's modeling with some of the big steam and diesels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,

I've been modeling railroads for many years and I am still learning.. Currently building B & L Railroad & Mining Company in my gerden. 1/20.3 scale #1 gauge. I have about 50' of hand laid track working and the plan calls for 280' by the time it is complete. Being retired I'm no longer in a hurry to build, I just enjoy the building process. :)

If you've never built a railroad in the great outdoors, you ain't tried nothin' yet... Not only all the desing & building problems, but now I have to think about the land that sometimes moves, afternoon showers that can bring 4" of rain, domestic anaimals & wild ones, bugs from hell, oh and don't forget the grandchildren (two & three years old). The greatest challange I have ever taken on. I love it, just like the real thing, it's me against the elements. :D

I have built HO, & O scale over the years, I Can't see the little stuff anymore. :cool: If I can be of help to anyone... drop me a note anytime.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gil Finn here.

I model several gauges and plan a second attemp at a pond and G gauge back yard layout this spring.

I collect as much as I use. I plan an O and Ho combined set up in my garage also thei summer. I need to do a lot of work to be ready for that.

W Va is my home and I am 55.

Nice to meet you all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, have been modelling for far to long,but still enjoy it as a good way to wind down at the end of the day.
I model HO Deutsches Bundesbahn Epoch III/IV and have a layout some 9' X 18' in a purpose built workshop. Still lots to do and lots of time to do it in.
Great hobby.

David

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi, I have just joined this group. I am mostly interested in small switching operations and constructing buildings in 1/2 inch scale. I am currantly building a small 6 ft X 18 ft outside railway. It is an imaginary group of businesses in a small East coast town here in America. I will post some construction photos.

Jon

·
Registered
24 Posts
My name is Ulf. I'm into Marklin H0 (American models primarily).
I started this hobby in the fall of 2004 with my then 4 yr old son. I first built a 100cm by 160cm layout mostly for him, but I got hooked :) and now I'm into modules (built one so far). Eventually I'll have a large modular layout featuring the transition era with late steam early diesels. Pics to come...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Modules

Hi Ulf:
Thanks for the reply> I would like to see any pictures of your moduels. I am now working with large scale models. (1/2 inch scale). The modules I have made for this are currently being used in a club show. I will send some pictures later. Here are a couple of photos of an "O" scale module I made a few years ago. It is about 4 ft square. (122cm X 122cm) The straight tracks are standard guage. The track that winds through the middle is narrow guage. I kit bashed the loco and gon from HO parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
HO trains

Hi,
I grew up with HO trains, always loved them, the real reason I am here is I have a quesion. When I was around 10 years old my father had an HO collection that would make any kids eyes glow or for that matter any adult. I am now 44 so this was around the mid 1970s . Around 1980 I grew up and dad lost interest and the complete set ended up in his attic. Dads house was 30 foot by 50 foot and the set took up the entire cellar. It had everything running water , bridges, unlimited supply of everything. Dad passed in 2000 and I inherited everything , and it sits in my cellar all in plastic cases that came from walmart. I was planning on keeping them until I retire and set them back up. But I thought about it , I know I will never do anything with them I have to many other projects. My question is how would I sell something like this ?? I sell on e-bay but this set would be way too much work to put on e-bay and I dont want to give them away either. The cases are stacked 5 foot high and take an area of 10 foot by 10 foot. I dont know what to do with them.
Rick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mike (Tucker)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey everyone glad to be aboard.

Acquired over 150 sections of tyco slot car track. I have a 5 yerar old son who's name is Tucker. It all started when I found a box of Tyco slot car tracks ( over 150 tracks icluding straigts curves and everything else). Had several cars and 4 controllers. Well anyway to make this as short as possilble I built a table to accomdate the best layout for my new Tyco slot cars. Everything when pretty good had my track set up my son and I love it. My wife really couldn't understand. Well you may be asking what slot cars have to do with this forum. Well it gets even better. I was out and about with my son when we came accross a tag sale. My son notice a box with HO scale trains. I told him they were broken. I ask how much he wanted for the box and he replied $5.00. I grab the box and happilly went through it. Had 2 engines, about 10 cars, and various tracks. I going to create a nice layout with the tyco slot cars and the Ho scale track. My wife really doesn't understand whats going on I'll probalbly be living outside pretty soon. Does anyone have any advice. I laid out my slot car track so it will work with various designs. My table is 81' long and 41' wide. Will keep you updated

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey there everyone. My name's Lorne. I'm really new to the model train hobby. I haven't gone ahead and built a layout yet but I'm in the process of collecting what I'll eventually need to get started.

My kids (2, 3, and 6) are all showing signs of loving trains. We live close to a train yard, so that might have something to do with it. I'm looking forward to getting a train layout started one of these days and getting my kids involved as well.

My scale preferance is HO as it seems to be the most readily available scale.

I live in Grande Prairie AB so if there is anyone here living in this area I would love to meet ya and talk trains.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trading ideas and (hopefully) learning a thing or two.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the forum Lorne, glad to have you aboard.

Things are really picking up here!

I'm sorry I haven't had more time to dedicate towards the forum, if there is anything you guys would like to see or need help with drop me a message.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad I found this forum!

Hi all, I'm John and I am getting back into HO scale (and some O scale) after many many years absence. I'm looking for knowledge and I think I may have found the right place! I'm currently setting up a double 4x8 layout with a crossover from one table to the other (kind of a horseshoe shape). I am thinking of running two separate track systems sort of intertwined, one for each boy (I have twin 5 year olds, hince the screen name). I have alot of work to do, and alot of researching as well so I'll be asking alot of questions!! I look forward to being a member, and thanks in advance!!

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
new to me

Hey just ordered train set today. I am going to do HO train in large coffee table in my game room in basement. Going to do boating marina, beach trestles, ocean, land and roads . This is all new to me.
THANKS RAYZZ TRAINS LIKE MY MONEY:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
NewBee Here

Hello from Southeastern Colorado. I have two grandsons one of which is totally engrossed in Trains. He is soon to be eight but has had a deep interest in trains since around the age of three. The other grandson is gradually getting more interested in the hobby and he is nine. I am setting the layout in a 12 x16 foot room and will need all of the help I can get and will need to have questions answered I am sure. Looking forward to every post especially the HO related ones. The wiring of the various controls, etc is what is concerning me most.

1 - 20 of 8012 Posts