Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 7974 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
New

Happy New Year, everyone! My name is Edward. I retired a couple of years ago, having been a Unitarian minister for over 45 years. I had a fairly sizeable HO layout many years ago, then went into woodworking. I have just decided that, for health and safety reasons, I need to give up the wood shop, selling off the machinery (bittersweet)--and I'm eagerly going back to working on the (model) railroad, HO: staring from scratch. My three daughters clinched the
decision by giving me a starter set for Christmas.

I lived in Atlanta (near I-85 and Shallowford) and would like to hear from any fellow Atlantans about where you buy rolling stock, track, supplies, etc.

Any particular magazine I should get--or does the 'net serve pretty well (there was no such thing when I first walked the tracks)?

I'm glad to find this forum. Just what I need. I just hope it doesn't get *too* technical for a newcomer.

Edward

·
Registered
29 Posts
Correction

New friends

In my introduction post I wrote that I "lived" in Atlanta. Correction: I *live*
in Atlanta, have for nigh on twenty year now.

Edward

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hi Edward,

Welcome to the site. Sounds like a great plan you have. Wish I could do the same!! :p

The net has turned out to be a good resource for the model railroaders, but it does not compete with a good cup of coffee or tea and a quality print magazine.

Needless to say, I have tons of Model Railroader issues from 1989 on if anyone is interested. I have read them cover to cover many times now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New

Hello,

I had some HO trains when I was ages 14-18 then I strayed away after high school. This year for Christmas the wonderful girlfriend bought me a Post War Lionel 2026 Steam Locomotive and it has refired my childhood dreams of having trains at the age of 28. I have alot to learn still and will start building my layout hear shortly.

Nathan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Model Railroader

tworail said:
Hi Edward,

Needless to say, I have tons of Model Railroader issues from 1989 on if anyone is interested. I have read them cover to cover many times now.
I'd certainly be interested in a couple dozen of the later issues. What would you like to do? Sell? Mail for shipping cost?

Edward

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another new guy

Hello everyone. My name is Jerry and I am relatively new to this hobby (several years now). I have a railroad modeling project in the very early stages right now and will keep this forum apprised of my progress as I wonder through the various stages.

I model in HO and my current project is centered around a Southern Pacific. 1950's freight scheme. It's three city blocks of citrus distribution warehousing. There is (will be), one mainline and 4 (maybe 5), sidings. It will be a switching nightmare to be sure. I hope there are plenty of experts in here to bail me out when I get into trouble.

Thanks for being here!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to community

Hello All,
New to model train community, just checking in and saying hi. started researching model trains and I did not realize there were some many things, diferent scales, brands, etc. Huge world of possibilities.
I have a model train website, http://www.cottonwoodjunction.com
Feel free to stop by and offer suggestions to a newbie.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi my name is Nick and I have an addiction :) no Im not suppose to be on the AA forums but yea Im a pizza guy who has model trains (the tips pay for a lot lol) Im 19 and I model my own Railroad line Lake Masseria Railroad any questions you can message me anytime

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Welcome alfalfa.

B&M: I think those under 30 are the majority here, and hell, I'm getting close myself!!

Good to see the younger people getting in on the action though. I am still convinced model railroading of any kind is dead in the 12-24 age category.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi all, my name is Manos, I am from Greece and I have a maquette and a big collection with locomotives and wagons in N scale.:)
Welcome to the board! :thumbsup: Stick around and enjoy. :)
We would love to see pics of your n scale layout and collection if you have any. If you need help posting pics, PM me and I will gladly help you out.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
For those who have not seen, Manos has posted his incredible layout here:

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=248

I must credit him for the inspiration to get back to my Marklin models.

I've been busy all weekend finishing off a couple building kits. Pics coming soon!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hi my name is Nick and I have an addiction :) no Im not suppose to be on the AA forums but yea Im a pizza guy who has model trains (the tips pay for a lot lol) Im 19 and I model my own Railroad line Lake Masseria Railroad any questions you can message me anytime
Sounds intriguing, any more info or pics to share?

·
Registered
12 Posts
41 - 60 of 7974 Posts