Model Train Forum banner

7801 - 7820 of 8055 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Dear Admin and all Members,
I am Dwi, an Indonesian, totally newbie and know nothing about this model train world. I want to learn anything here and getting familiar with this new interesting thing, but so sorry if I will ask a nasty question that may annoying you all, especially for my poor English.

Cheers,
Dwi

Dwi;

Welcome to the forum! We are a large, international group of model railroaders. We have members with decades of experience and members with no experience yet, just like you. Don't worry about asking questions here. We get questions everyday from new modelers (newbies) all over the world. Your English was good enough to get you on the forum, so don't worry about that either. :)
To help you, and other newbies, get started learning about model railroading, I have written the attached pdf files. Read them if you wish. I think you will find a lot of good information in them. You might also buy a good book for new modelers. It's called, "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson. You can order a copy from https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books Also look at our "Beginner's Q&A" section, here on the forum. It also has lots of good information.

again welcome;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

View attachment Choosing a Scale.pdf

View attachment 1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

View attachment MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

View attachment Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dwi;

Welcome to the forum! We are a large, international group of model railroaders. We have members with decades of experience and members with no experience yet, just like you. Don't worry about asking questions here. We get questions everyday from new modelers (newbies) all over the world. Your English was good enough to get you on the forum, so don't worry about that either. :)
To help you, and other newbies, get started learning about model railroading, I have written the attached pdf files. Read them if you wish. I think you will find a lot of good information in them. You might also buy a good book for new modelers. It's called, "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson. You can order a copy from https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books Also look at our "Beginner's Q&A" section, here on the forum. It also has lots of good information.

again welcome;

View attachment 522004

View attachment 522006

View attachment 522008

View attachment 522010

View attachment 522012

View attachment 522014

View attachment 522016

View attachment 522018

View attachment 522020

View attachment 522022
Woaaaah.... what a great personal responds from the masters here... thanks a lot, will go through all of the papers... :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Dwi

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Dwi, we have many people here from many countries, and we all learn from each other. Welcome to the model trains hobby, and to this forum! :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Dear Admin and all Members,
I am Dwi, an Indonesian, totally newbie and know nothing about this model train world. I want to learn anything here and getting familiar with this new interesting thing, but so sorry if I will ask a nasty question that may annoying you all, especially for my poor English.

Cheers,
Dwi
-----
Dwi,
Welcome aboard!
Your English seems fine to me.
Ask away & have fun. This is quite a fascinating hobby.
Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All, New to the forum as of today 1/16/20. My name is Mike. I have S scale American Flyer trains - all steam locomotives. Not a long time collector. Not even sure if I can be considered a collector. Maybe a fan instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Greetings to all!

Just rejoined after many years. I started model railroading in 1959 and have gone thru many layouts over the years.

I just got an OKAY from the Mrs to start again with some space she was saving for herself. What a gal!

Biff

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Welcome aboard!

biff said:
Greetings to all!

Just rejoined after many years. I started model railroading in 1959 and have gone thru many layouts over the years.

I just got an OKAY from the Mrs to start again with some space she was saving for herself. What a gal!

Biff

Biff;

Welcome back to the forum, and to the hobby. With your experience, you should be able to help some of our new members.
Your wife sounds like a rare gem! ;)
You might want to set up a screen name, and stop using your personal E-mail address on the forum. Someone may see it here and misuse it.

Again Welcome;

·
Registered
12 Posts
traction fan

Thanks but, I probably would be better on HOW NOT TO DO IT.
Lotta mistakes over the last 60 years.

Thanks for the tip on changing my screen...but I cannot find where to accomplish that...I bet you would know, right?

biff

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Wrong guy

biff said:

Thanks for the tip on changing my screen...but I cannot find where to accomplish that...I bet you would know, right?

biff
biff;

No, I'm afraid I'm the wrong guy to ask about digital stuff. You can ask gunrunnerjohn, our administrator, or ask in the "Forum News Updates and Help" section or the "Technical Forum section. There are lots of digital types there who should be able to help you with changing to a screen name in order to protect your personal e-mail address from abuse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My name is Ravi and i am new to this model railroad community. though I am learning fast. I have been trying to do as much as I can by myself. means I try to build thing if I can rather buying them ready made. for ex - turnouts, bridge, ballast, utility poles, signals etc. I am also recodring videos as i progress I will keep posting my work. hope to see you all in discussion.

Best:)

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Hello,

My name is Ravi and i am new to this model railroad community. though I am learning fast. I have been trying to do as much as I can by myself. means I try to build thing if I can rather buying them ready made. for ex - turnouts, bridge, ballast, utility poles, signals etc. I am also recodring videos as i progress I will keep posting my work. hope to see you all in discussion.

Best:)
Ravi;

Welcome to the forum! I also build many things "from scratch" instead of buying them ready made. My layout is N-scale and based on part of an American railroad called the "Milwaukee Road". The part I model was near Seattle, Washington, in the northwest corner of the U.S.
What can you tell us about your railway? Is it based on a particular real one? What scale are your trains? How big is your layout? I look forward to seeing your videos. You can't attach videos directly to your forum posts. Record them as youtube videos and then put a link to them in your forum post. That way we will be able to see them. The files attached below are some that I wrote to help new modelers. Look through them if you want to. They may have some information that will help you.

Again Welcome;

View attachment How I scratch build turnouts new(8).pdf

View attachment Tips for handling small parts.pdf

View attachment Assembly instructions for $5 switch machine..pdf

View attachment Paintbrush Pine Trees.pdf

·
Registered
512 Posts
biff said:

biff
contact gunrunnerjohn and ask him to change your username and he can buuuuut users cant change them
:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. My name is Richard and I am in central Virginia. Interested in HO (or is it, "H0"?) scale modeling, particularly running trains instead of focusing on accuracy of details.

Have my own home and plan to use a very large space in the finished attic area for the hobby. The space is approximately 13' wide x 30+' long with kneewalls 50" tall. This should permit a good 13'x20' u-shaped layout I'd imagine! Originally considered a lift-out section to run an oval design but after reading some other experiences, a u-shape may be more practical to run trains along a complex loop as I'm not much into the switching or task-based stuff.

There is a local club with a very old and very large oval setup. However, I'd like to create a modular setup at home with elevation changes, tunnels, and even a few bridges/trestles that would keep me busy as I work on creating each module but still be able to run trains along a lengthy loop.

Currently reading as many track layout books as possible. Am fascinated by those youtube videos from users that have used a sharp knife and spray paint to create realistic mountain scenes from pink foam insulation boards (instead of plaster on top of filler or chicken wire).

Have two Broadway Limited engines: steam Greenbrier hybrid brass #614 and diesel GE ES44AC. Also have the Paragon3 big subwoofer and lightning kits, over 40 assorted cars (Broadway Limited, Tangent, Bowser, Atlas, and more). Lots of Atlas code 83 flex track. Everything still in boxes ready for a design!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Hello. My name is Richard and I am in central Virginia. Interested in HO (or is it, "H0"?) scale modeling, particularly running trains instead of focusing on accuracy of details.

Have my own home and plan to use a very large space in the finished attic area for the hobby. The space is approximately 13' wide x 30+' long with knee walls 50" tall. This should permit a good 13'x20' u-shaped layout I'd imagine! Originally considered a lift-out section to run an oval design but after reading some other experiences, a u-shape may be more practical to run trains along a complex loop as I'm not much into the switching or task-based stuff.

There is a local club with a very old and very large oval setup. However, I'd like to create a modular setup at home with elevation changes, tunnels, and even a few bridges/trestles that would keep me busy as I work on creating each module but still be able to run trains along a lengthy loop.

Currently reading as many track layout books as possible. Am fascinated by those youtube videos from users that have used a sharp knife and spray paint to create realistic mountain scenes from pink foam insulation boards (instead of plaster on top of filler or chicken wire).

Have two Broadway Limited engines: steam Greenbrier hybrid brass #614 and diesel GE ES44AC. Also have the Paragon3 big subwoofer and lightning kits, over 40 assorted cars (Broadway Limited, Tangent, Bowser, Atlas, and more). Lots of Atlas code 83 flex track. Everything still in boxes ready for a design!
Richard;

Welcome to the forum!
The modeling scale you like is pronounced as initials, not as a word that is a slang term for prostitute. :eek:
It's HO-scale (1/87th of full size) as in Half O-scale (1/48th of full size)
It sounds like you have plenty of space! Is that attic blazing hot in summer and freezing cold in winter? Or do you have heating and air conditioning up there?

Building your layout in sections is a good idea. It makes it easy to work on one area at a time and lets you take your hard work with you, if you ever have to move.
The files below are some that I've written to help new modelers. Look through them if you wish. They may provide some useful information.

Again welcome;

View attachment Paintbrush Pine Trees.pdf

View attachment Tips for handling small parts.pdf

View attachment Introductory letter for $5 switch machine.pdf

View attachment Assembly instructions for $5 switch machine..pdf

View attachment How I scratch build turnouts new(8).pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks! I was reading your attachments from another post in the thread, good info.

The following layout called "Outback" from Sandia Software seems very interesting as a lengthy single main track. Could put a town scene instead of a roundhouse.

Been reading books from the late John Armstrong as well. outback 3d bev 3.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts

Have my own home and plan to use a very large space in the finished attic area for the hobby. The space is approximately 13' wide x 30+' long with kneewalls 50" tall. This should permit a good 13'x20' u-shaped layout I'd imagine! Originally considered a lift-out section to run an oval design but after reading some other experiences, a u-shape may be more practical to run trains along a complex loop as I'm not much into the switching or task-based stuff.

One option you can do if you want a loop is to create it as free standing instead attached to the wall. That way you can walk all the way around it. It will probably require a little more bracing for stability and something to cover the power cords so you don't trip over them.

7801 - 7820 of 8055 Posts