Model Train Forum banner

7961 - 7973 of 7973 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Got room for one more?.....I’ll do my best to stay out of this forum’s jail.......Pat
Pat;

Welcome to the forum! We don't have a jail, and you'd have to do something really bad to get kicked off!:eek: Generally, this is a friendly and easygoing group, so don't worry be happy. Do you have a layout? If so, wha6 scale and how much space do you have for it? My own shelf layout is N-scale and occupies two walls of my garage. If you don't have a layout now, do you plan to build one? I've been asking you a lot of questions here, do you have any questions you want to ask?

again welcome;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes traction fan, I have a layout, and a dedicated service shop. I’m one of the lucky ones to have a fully dedicated train room....I’m still learning how to navigate this forum, so forgive me if this winds up in the wrong spot......I do O 3R, although it’s high rail, I’m leaning towards 3RS.....some of those guys that do 3RS are very impressive.........Pat

·
Admin
43,192 Posts
Got room for one more?.....I’ll do my best to stay out of this forum’s jail.......Pat
We send guys like pat DIRECTLY to jail, no fooling around with dangerous characters like that! :p:p

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forum Pat. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Watch it John, I’m a hardened OGR criminal......took it to the gate!...��....but I’m reformed now!.......had to change my evil ways.......Pat

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Sounds good

Yes traction fan, I have a layout, and a dedicated service shop. I’m one of the lucky ones to have a fully dedicated train room....I’m still learning how to navigate this forum, so forgive me if this winds up in the wrong spot......I do O 3R, although it’s high rail, I’m leaning towards 3RS.....some of those guys that do 3RS are very impressive.........Pat
Pat;

We have a very large, and active O-scale section on this forum. Post there, if you haven't already, and you'll meet a lot of people who share your interest in O-gage trains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pat;

We have a very large, and active O-scale section on this forum. Post there, if you haven't already, and you'll meet a lot of people who share your interest in O-gage trains.

Sounds good...thanks again for the welcome!....and don’t believe a word GunrunnerJohn says....I’ve completed my three step courses!........:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, guys. I'm Doug Boynton - and since I seem to be in house arrest without an ankle bracelet for the next few weeks, I unpacked my N Scale trains that were put away in the mid-80s.

Back then, I was modeling C&O equipment - I suppose I still am!

Looking forward to learning how much the hobby has advanced in the last 35 years. I'm located in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Thanks for letting me in!

- Doug

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Not a new member but I am back to the forum / hobby. Moved 3 years ago and all of the trains went into boxes. Started a layout upon moving in but made a huge mistake, tried to build it the size of the old one. It was overwhelming for the time I have. Now it has been down sized to a 5 x 9 board. That should be manageable. Also during good weather it has to compete with an ever expanding car hobby. May be selling off some of the excess items in the future once I and my sons narrow down the direction we are going. So far it is all north eastern rail lines. I like the New Haven locomotives. Mainly because I like the colors and Alcos. Focusing on anything start or diesel to early 80s. Not time period specific, just what we like.

Well I am back and there is my story, for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Gil;

Welcome to the forum! You have some experience in the three most popular scales First O-scale, then HO-scale, and most recently N-scale. With that experience, you should be able to choose the scale that you like best, unless your wife is also involved, in which case she will tell you which scale to like best! :laugh:

I have gone the same route. I started with Marx and Lionel O-gage as a child. Had an HO-scale layout as a teenager, and have been modeling in N-scale for the past forty years. I'm 71 years-old, have some arthritis, and need eyeglasses for both working on trains/reading, and distance (bifocals)
I prefer N-scale partially because I do not have the large space available that you do. (California homes typically don't have basements :()
I also had 11 years of fun as a member of an N-scale club.

Any scale is a good scale, as long as it's one that you like. Your 7 & 8 year-old grandkids are old enough to handle N-scale easily. At their ages, they probably have excellent eyesight, and manual dexterity, too. That brings us to you, and possibly your wife, if she shares your enthusiasm for model trains. (My own patient wife has tolerated my obsession with trains for 38 years, but shows no interest in them herself.)
If you are seriously worried about whether or not you can still work with N-scale, buy one of Intermountain's beautifully detailed boxcar kits in N-scale, and another one in HO-scale. (If O-scale is a serious contender for your affections, Intermountain makes the same kits in O-scale too.)
Building these cars will give you some up-to-date, hands-on experience in handling the small parts of each scale. If, as I suspect, you find that you can work well with any of these scale models, then it becomes simply a matter of your own preference. And that's exactly as it should be! :)

For many years, particularly as a member of the N-scale club, I've had to deal with some crazies who thought HO-scale was god's gift to "serious model railroaders," and "N-gage" (or any other scale ) was just silly.
Granted, these characters were nut jobs, but it has made me a bit defensive about my favorite scale. :eek:hwell: So I tend to promote it. For instance all the structures in my response to the post above this one, by RichardS-VA are all N-scale and largely/entirely scratchbuilt, by me. So if anyone tries to tell you that "You can't do that in N-gage" feel free to refer them to my posts. :D )
The simple truth is, you can do whatever you want in any scale. However, just because N-scale is my favorite, that doesn't mean it has to be yours. (Though from your post, I suspect you may be leaning in that direction. ;)

The files below are some I've written to help new modelers. Look through them if you like. They may help you get started on a new hobby.

again welcome;

View attachment 523406

View attachment 523408

View attachment 523410

View attachment 523412

View attachment 523414

View attachment 523416

View attachment 523418

View attachment 523420

View attachment 523422

View attachment 523424

View attachment 523426

View attachment 523428

View attachment 523430

View attachment 523432

Traction Fan: I think I forgot to say thank you, I appreciated your info and advice. I got distracted the last months by my genealogy research but with the isolation, now is a good time to get my planning in gear.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
How do I post photos at this forum?
Look lower right, (when your typing) pick the paper clip or the one to the right of the smile face is the one I use, insert image.

7961 - 7973 of 7973 Posts