Model Train Forum banner

8041 - 8060 of 8107 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,037 Posts
Hey there! Here's a nice place to start.

Looking for my train room inspiration, I've already seen lots of great works here.
Welcome, what is in your train room?
N, HO, O or other?
We have forums for all, jump right in the proper forum and show what you have.
Most love pictures too. :)
If you need help don't be afraid to ask.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome, what is in your train room?
N, HO, O or other?
We have forums for all, jump right in the proper forum and show what you have.
Most love pictures too. :)
If you need help don't be afraid to ask.
Thank you! Here is an image! I don't have a dedicated room, but if that's model railroading slang...
I have wanted to have a permanent layout filled with vehicles, people, trees, and buildings, but I don't know much about how to make or build things like that.

I don't have many trains and I want to make a layout but don't know how yet.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Hi from California. I'm just getting back to model railroading and I have a few questions, since It's been a long time.
1. Which control method do you recommend if you want a semi-realistic setup with a few buildings and maybe some model cars and people and such, Dc or Dcc, and do you have any favorite controller brands or models?

2. I've got a couple of ho scale trains and one I believe is dcc ready, but when I run them on a long layout, they seem to stop on certain pieces of track. I've concluded that the track probably needs to be cleaned so it will be more conductive, but I have seen many methods on how to clean track and don't yet know which seems best since I don't really want to scratch the track. I've noticed some black specks on the rails and don't know how to get those off, since they might be inhibiting the electricity from traveling through.

3. Does anyone have a favorite Bachmann train loco? I tend to lean towards the antique looking ones, as well as the coaches.

Thank you!

I like model trains;

Welcome to the forum!
What part 0f California do you live in? I'm in San Diego.
You asked about control system recommendations for a "semi-realistic setup."
I recommend you start out with DCC right now when you have few locomotives to convert from DC to DCC, by adding a decoder. Sooner, or later, (probably as soon as you see and hear DCC locomotives operating), you will want DCC.
It's advantages are that you can run more than one train, on the same track, without all the complicated wiring needed to do that with traditional DC control.
DCC also lets you have sound from the locomotive, which adds a lot of interest and realism.
I use the NCE Powercab DCC system on my layout, but Digitrax, and MRC prodigy, are also excellent brands. The Bachmann DCC system is somewhat limited, since you can't program much on that brand. The Bachmann sound DCC decoders also have a reputation for developing annoying buzzing sounds. If you go with DCC, I suggest using NCE, Digitrax, or MRC prodigy. All three are very good systems.

Clean track is essential for good operation. If your track is very old, and has been sitting unused for years, it is probably covered by heavy oxidation. That takes a little more effort to remove, than just the normal dirt buildup on fairley new track. Does your present track have brass (gold colored) rails or nickel/silver (silver colored) rails? Either type will work, but the brass rail will need cleaning more often. Is your present track made up of short (9" long approx.) sections? If it is, then the rail joiners between sections may need to be cleaned, and/or tightened, to make better electrical connections between the track pieces.
If you have old, very dirty, track I suggest using a commercial track cleaning block called a "Brite Boy." This item looks like a big pencil eraser, but unlike a normal eraser, the Brite Boy has grit embedded in the rubber to help remove dirt and oxide from the rails.
I wouldn't worry too much about scratching the rails. I've been using Brite Boys successfully for years, with no real damage to the rails. (You will hear conflicting opinions on this subject however.)
If the track is relatively new and cleaner, simply wiping the rails with a rag wetted with alcohol, will clean the track.
Besides cleaning the track, it's also necessary to clean the wheels of your locomotives. This can be done with a paper towel wetted with alcohol, and placed over some clean track. Run the locomotive up onto the towel with the front set of wheels on the towel, and the rear set of wheels on the rails further back. Hold the loco gently in place, and turn up the speed control of your power pack to make the front wheels run against the alcohol soaked towel. This will leave black lines of dirt from the wheels on the towel. repeat the process with clean towels until the front wheels no longer leave dirt streaks. Then, turn the loco around, and do the same cleaning on the back set of wheels.
When you have clean rails, tight rail joiners, and clean loco wheels, the train should run much better.

I'm not a good person to ask about a "favorite Bachmann train loco." I don't like, or buy, Bachmann products, since I have had too many problems with their old locomotives, and stopped buying Bachmann many years ago. Newer Bachmann locos are supposed to be better, (They could hardly be worse than their old junk!) so I'll leave this question to someone who uses them. I'm an N-scale modeler, and my favorite locomotive brand is Kato.

The files below have a lot more information on many model railroad topics. Look through them if you like. You might also benefit from a good book on model railroading. I recommend "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson. You can order a copy from Kalmbach Hobby Store or from www.amazon.com

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
"In the city area?" What city? OK, maybe you don't want to say?
The rail joiners could be cleaned by scrubbing them with alcohol on an old toothbrush, but it's easier to just replace them. You say your track is "pretty short." Does it make a complete circle?
It would help to have some more information from you. What scale are the trains you have now? Your photo of the Caltrain locomotive doesn't have anything in it, like a ruler, to judge the size. The two most popular scales are HO-scale and N-scale. An HO-scale model of that Caltrain locomotive would be about 9-11" long. An N-scale model of the same loco would be half that size, about 5" long.
A good online source for all things model train is www.modeltrainstuff.com What brand is your model locomotive? (It's often marked on the bottom.) What brand is your track? (again, check the bottom of the track for a brand name. If you give us more information about what you have now, we will be able to help you more easily.

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you Traction Fan,
I should have been more clear. I meant the track itself. Here is a link to the types, and the loco. I've not got many, so for now, until I can get more, I won't have very many. I've got about 5 of the cars pulled by them.
They are Ho, though I have a some large G scale track and many of those locos and cars. But I don't have as many Ho ones.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like model trains;

Welcome to the forum!
What part 0f California do you live in? I'm in San Diego.
You asked about control system recommendations for a "semi-realistic setup."
I recommend you start out with DCC right now when you have few locomotives to convert from DC to DCC, by adding a decoder. Sooner, or later, (probably as soon as you see and hear DCC locomotives operating), you will want DCC.
It's advantages are that you can run more than one train, on the same track, without all the complicated wiring needed to do that with traditional DC control.
DCC also lets you have sound from the locomotive, which adds a lot of interest and realism.
I use the NCE Powercab DCC system on my layout, but Digitrax, and MRC prodigy, are also excellent brands. The Bachmann DCC system is somewhat limited, since you can't program much on that brand. The Bachmann sound DCC decoders also have a reputation for developing annoying buzzing sounds. If you go with DCC, I suggest using NCE, Digitrax, or MRC prodigy. All three are very good systems.

Clean track is essential for good operation. If your track is very old, and has been sitting unused for years, it is probably covered by heavy oxidation. That takes a little more effort to remove, than just the normal dirt buildup on fairley new track. Does your present track have brass (gold colored) rails or nickel/silver (silver colored) rails? Either type will work, but the brass rail will need cleaning more often. Is your present track made up of short (9" long approx.) sections? If it is, then the rail joiners between sections may need to be cleaned, and/or tightened, to make better electrical connections between the track pieces.
If you have old, very dirty, track I suggest using a commercial track cleaning block called a "Brite Boy." This item looks like a big pencil eraser, but unlike a normal eraser, the Brite Boy has grit embedded in the rubber to help remove dirt and oxide from the rails.
I wouldn't worry too much about scratching the rails. I've been using Brite Boys successfully for years, with no real damage to the rails. (You will hear conflicting opinions on this subject however.)
If the track is relatively new and cleaner, simply wiping the rails with a rag wetted with alcohol, will clean the track.
Besides cleaning the track, it's also necessary to clean the wheels of your locomotives. This can be done with a paper towel wetted with alcohol, and placed over some clean track. Run the locomotive up onto the towel with the front set of wheels on the towel, and the rear set of wheels on the rails further back. Hold the loco gently in place, and turn up the speed control of your power pack to make the front wheels run against the alcohol soaked towel. This will leave black lines of dirt from the wheels on the towel. repeat the process with clean towels until the front wheels no longer leave dirt streaks. Then, turn the loco around, and do the same cleaning on the back set of wheels.
When you have clean rails, tight rail joiners, and clean loco wheels, the train should run much better.

I'm not a good person to ask about a "favorite Bachmann train loco." I don't like, or buy, Bachmann products, since I have had too many problems with their old locomotives, and stopped buying Bachmann many years ago. Newer Bachmann locos are supposed to be better, (They could hardly be worse than their old junk!) so I'll leave this question to someone who uses them. I'm an N-scale modeler, and my favorite locomotive brand is Kato.

The files below have a lot more information on many model railroad topics. Look through them if you like. You might also benefit from a good book on model railroading. I recommend "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson. You can order a copy from Kalmbach Hobby Store or from www.amazon.com

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Traction Fan 🙂
Do you reccomend maybe getting the full starting set? Where do/did you buy your supplies? Did you paint and build your layout/diorama?
Thank you Traction Fan!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Do you reccomend maybe getting the full starting set? Where do/did you buy your supplies? Did you paint and build your layout/diorama?
Thank you Traction Fan!
I like model trains;

Most train sets are made up of low quality items to keep the overall price of the set low enough that people who don't have model train experience will buy them. This is particularly true around christmas, since many train sets are initially purchased to make a loop around a christmas tree. There are a few exceptions to this general rule, and they are pointed out in the first file I sent you titled. "Where do I start." If you have not read this file, I suggest that you do. Generally speaking it is best to first think about what you want to model. You have a Caltrain locomotive. Are you interested in that railroad operation? Caltrain is a commuter train service subsidised by the state of California. You also mentioned that you like "Old Timey" trains. Do you want to model trains from the post civil war "wild west" era? Think about what YOU like best and plan your model railroad along those lines. For instance, if you model the wild west era, the Caltrain diesel locomotive you have wouldn't fit into that time frame. It wouldn't even have been built for another fifty years or so. Once you have decided what you want, start by purchasing a decent quality locomotive that fits the theme/era that you prefer. You can find out about the different types of track available by reading the files. Then you can pick the type you like best. Cars can be bought a few at a time.

I am fortunate enough to have a model train store within easy driving distance. Most modelers are not that lucky, since many hobby shops have gone out of business. Many people live far away from any hobby shop, and many hobby shops don't stock much of anything in the way of model trains. Perhaps only a few of those low quality sets or no trains at all. That means ordering your supplies online. I gave you one good online dealer already, www.modeltrainstuff.com Another good one is www.trainworld.com Just click on either of the preceding links and you will see what's available. Speaking of links, the link you intended in your response was not there. You said " Here is a link to the types (of track) and the loco." But there was no link.

Yes I do build, and paint, my own models. My present model railroad is my seventh. I have been an active model railroader for over fifty years. My current layout is N-scale, and based on a tiny part of a real railroad called The Milwaukee Road. My model is based on that railroad's operations in the Seattle,Washington area in the 1920s. The railroad is a "Bookshelf " design that I copied from an article published in Model Railroader Magazine many years ago. The photos below show some of my models. Many are built from scratch, using basswood or styrene materials. Others are commercial plastic, or wood, model kits that I assembled and painted.
My railroad is attached to two of the walls of my garage. The overall size is approximately ten feet by ten feet, in and 'L' shape. It is made up of sections. My standard section is 4' long, 16" deep, and 16" high. (See first photo.)
There is a track plan of my railroad in the "Layout design" section of this forum. It is inside the thread titled "Here are the layouts of some forum members."

Now a first model railroad is not likely going to be anything as complex as mine, or based on a specific real railroad, in a particular time and place. It doesn't need to be either. If you read the files I sent you titled "How to build a better first layout," that should give you some ideas. There are also many track plans available online, and in books, that you might want to copy.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like model trains;

Most train sets are made up of low quality items to keep the overall price of the set low enough that people who don't have model train experience will buy them. This is particularly true around christmas, since many train sets are initially purchased to make a loop around a christmas tree. There are a few exceptions to this general rule, and they are pointed out in the first file I sent you titled. "Where do I start." If you have not read this file, I suggest that you do. Generally speaking it is best to first think about what you want to model. You have a Caltrain locomotive. Are you interested in that railroad operation? Caltrain is a commuter train service subsidised by the state of California. You also mentioned that you like "Old Timey" trains. Do you want to model trains from the post civil war "wild west" era? Think about what YOU like best and plan your model railroad along those lines. For instance, if you model the wild west era, the Caltrain diesel locomotive you have wouldn't fit into that time frame. It wouldn't even have been built for another fifty years or so. Once you have decided what you want, start by purchasing a decent quality locomotive that fits the theme/era that you prefer. You can find out about the different types of track available by reading the files. Then you can pick the type you like best. Cars can be bought a few at a time.

I am fortunate enough to have a model train store within easy driving distance. Most modelers are not that lucky, since many hobby shops have gone out of business. Many people live far away from any hobby shop, and many hobby shops don't stock much of anything in the way of model trains. Perhaps only a few of those low quality sets or no trains at all. That means ordering your supplies online. I gave you one good online dealer already, www.modeltrainstuff.com Another good one is www.trainworld.com Just click on either of the preceding links and you will see what's available. Speaking of links, the link you intended in your response was not there. You said " Here is a link to the types (of track) and the loco." But there was no link.

Yes I do build, and paint, my own models. My present model railroad is my seventh. I have been an active model railroader for over fifty years. My current layout is N-scale, and based on a tiny part of a real railroad called The Milwaukee Road. My model is based on that railroad's operations in the Seattle,Washington area in the 1920s. The railroad is a "Bookshelf " design that I copied from an article published in Model Railroader Magazine many years ago. The photos below show some of my models. Many are built from scratch, using basswood or styrene materials. Others are commercial plastic, or wood, model kits that I assembled and painted.
My railroad is attached to two of the walls of my garage. The overall size is approximately ten feet by ten feet, in and 'L' shape. It is made up of sections. My standard section is 4' long, 16" deep, and 16" high. (See first photo.)
There is a track plan of my railroad in the "Layout design" section of this forum. It is inside the thread titled "Here are the layouts of some forum members."

Now a first model railroad is not likely going to be anything as complex as mine, or based on a specific real railroad, in a particular time and place. It doesn't need to be either. If you read the files I sent you titled "How to build a better first layout," that should give you some ideas. There are also many track plans available online, and in books, that you might want to copy.
Very Impressive! Sorry again, I should have been more clear. I meant the NCE powercab starter set that has everything that you need.
NCE 524025 Power Cab Complete DCC Starter Set with Power Supply
NCE DCC 5240025 Power Cab Complete DCC Starter Set with Power Supply
NCE 5240025 Power Cab DCC Starter System
And I have these tracks! I've got more of the black road bed ones though. Sometimes I use both on one setup if I really need to to test it but then take it out a little later, so not to hurt it. Sorry for the link mistake. Guess I was in a rush to finish.
Nickel Silver w/ gray roadbed : Bachmann Trains Online Store
Steel Alloy w/ black roadbed : Bachmann Trains Online Store
Can't see the links so I hope these are the right ones!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Very Impressive! Sorry again, I should have been more clear. I meant the NCE powercab starter set that has everything that you need.
NCE 524025 Power Cab Complete DCC Starter Set with Power Supply
NCE DCC 5240025 Power Cab Complete DCC Starter Set with Power Supply
NCE 5240025 Power Cab DCC Starter System
And I have these tracks! I've got more of the black road bed ones though. Sometimes I use both on one setup if I really need to to test it but then take it out a little later, so not to hurt it. Sorry for the link mistake. Guess I was in a rush to finish.
Nickel Silver w/ gray roadbed : Bachmann Trains Online Store
Steel Alloy w/ black roadbed : Bachmann Trains Online Store
Can't see the links so I hope these are the right ones!

I like model trains;

Yes, that is the same NCE Powercab system that I use.

The track in your second link is older Bachmann EZ-Track with the black roadbed, and steel rails. Steel rails rust. They are worse than brass rails and far worse than nickel/silver rails, in terms of keeping them clean, and working.
In my opinion, the best thing to do with steel rail model track is to carry it to the nearest wastebasket and drop it in.

The track in your first link is Bachmann EZ-Track, with the gray roadbed, and nickel/silver rails. While that track itself is OK, the Bachmann "turnouts" (track switches) that connect to it are the worst on the market. At the end of my file "All about turnouts", there are comments from people who have used these turnouts, and they are definitely not happy with them! You will also see some discussion about the Bachmann EZ-Track turnouts on this forum, and again, it's all bad. Since you say you don't have much track now, I suggest you look for a better type. If you like the idea of having the gray plastic "roadbed" piece under the track sections, then Kato "Unitrack" is much better quality, including the Kato turnouts, which are a lot better than the Bachmann ones. If you don't need the roadbed piece, then Atlas brand sectional track, or flex track would be a decent choice. You can mount sectional or flex track on cork or foam roadbed. With some modification, it would be possible to adapt the Gray roadbed track to connect to flex or sectional track, if you want to keep it.

Traction Fan

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like model trains;

Yes, that is the same NCE Powercab system that I use.

The track in your second link is older Bachmann EZ-Track with the black roadbed, and steel rails. Steel rails rust. They are worse than brass rails and far worse than nickel/silver rails, in terms of keeping them clean, and working.
In my opinion, the best thing to do with steel rail model track is to carry it to the nearest wastebasket and drop it in.

The track in your first link is Bachmann EZ-Track, with the gray roadbed, and nickel/silver rails. While that track itself is OK, the Bachmann "turnouts" (track switches) that connect to it are the worst on the market. At the end of my file "All about turnouts", there are comments from people who have used these turnouts, and they are definitely not happy with them! You will also see some discussion about the Bachmann EZ-Track turnouts on this forum, and again, it's all bad. Since you say you don't have much track now, I suggest you look for a better type. If you like the idea of having the gray plastic "roadbed" piece under the track sections, then Kato "Unitrack" is much better quality, including the Kato turnouts, which are a lot better than the Bachmann ones. If you don't need the roadbed piece, then Atlas brand sectional track, or flex track would be a decent choice. You can mount sectional or flex track on cork or foam roadbed. With some modification, it would be possible to adapt the Gray roadbed track to connect to flex or sectional track, if you want to keep it.

Traction Fan
Are the track pieces for dcc interchangable? you can't use different brands on the same track, right?
What are the best ho scale track brands? Got any favorites?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Are the track pieces for dcc interchangable? you can't use different brands on the same track, right?
What are the best ho scale track brands? Got any favorites?
Thanks!
I l m t;

Track is useable with DC or DCC, there is no difference in the track used to carry DCC signals from the (same) track used to carry direct current (DC).
There are physical differences between types of track which are explained in "Where do I start." Roadbed track, like Kato Unitrack, or Bachmann EZ-Track is designed to connect only to itself, though its possible to adapt it to mate with sectional, or flex track.

The "best" brand of track, or anything else for that matter, is a matter of opinion. Different people like different brands. Also most track is available in more than one scale. Atlas makes their flex track in N-scale, HO-scale and O-scale. Micro Engineering makes their track in HO-scale and N-scale, so does Peco. All three are good brands.
My favorite track brand is Micro Engineering flex track because of its very realistic appearance, but some people don't like Micro Engineering's flex track track because it's harder to form into a smooth curve.

Have you read any of the files I sent you? I wrote them to help new modelers like you , but also so I wouldn't have to re-type the same answers to the same questions over and over whenever a new person joined the forum.
Your questions, and my replies, are going over the same material that is in those files. No one can force you to read them. I wouldn't try. However, if you do read them you will learn the answers to many of your questions. So please read them.

Traction Fan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

Please respond to this thread and introduce yourself!

John
Hello Forum Admin & Members.My name is Robert i am from New York City/Manhattan/ USA.Like most i had HO trains as a child long ago.I am very into live steam.I have Live Steam boats/Open Launches,I have a couple of Live Steam Traction Engine from shoebox size to Match box size.I do own A Couple of HO 18 KaratGold Plated LS-Loc Mini Rockets.I own an Electric set of Bachman HO Dewitt Clinton set I own Lionel set. G Guage Accucraft Forney.Live Steam.And a whole miniature Live steam Table top Engines all can fit in the palm of your hand.Just warming up.I am a Father of 3 Beautiful Girls.I work for the most recognized Cellular/TV/Internet provider in the World begins with a V.Just ordered a Lutz Heilscher HO Mini Live Steam Loco.I flyProfessional Drones for Photography.I fly RC Airplanes/Helis/Quads.Live Steam anything gets my water boiling.When i figure out how to post my You Tube channel i will do sol.Thats all for now.Hope to make a bunch of new friends here.Thats all Folks.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hello Forum Admin & Members.My name is Robert i am from New York City/Manhattan/ USA.Like most i had HO trains as a child long ago.I am very into live steam.I have Live Steam boats/Open Launches,I have a couple of Live Steam Traction Engine from shoebox size to Match box size.I do own A Couple of HO 18 KaratGold Plated LS-Loc Mini Rockets.I own an Electric set of Bachman HO Dewitt Clinton set I own Lionel set. G Guage Accucraft Forney.Live Steam.And a whole miniature Live steam Table top Engines all can fit in the palm of your hand.Just warming up.I am a Father of 3 Beautiful Girls.I work for the most recognized Cellular/TV/Internet provider in the World begins with a V.Just ordered a Lutz Heilscher HO Mini Live Steam Loco.I flyProfessional Drones for Photography.I fly RC Airplanes/Helis/Quads.Live Steam anything gets my water boiling.When i figure out how to post my You Tube channel i will do sol.Thats all for now.Hope to make a bunch of new friends here.Thats all Folks.
Rob1962;

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are a very busy guy! We don't have a live steam section here, though there are plenty of steam fans, they just run their "steam" locomotives on electricity! 😄 Do you have a model railroad now, or any plans to build one?

Again welcome;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does Live Steam mean real trains? Also It's sooo cool that you fly drones! I personally love camera drones (especially ones that have 4k). Which brand do you like? DJI?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I am Kellen from Riverside, California. I have been into model trains since the late '80s when I as a kid. My first set was a G-Scale Playmobil Set and subsequently used LGB products with it. Once I got into my teenage years I got way more interested in cars and put trains to the side until I got into my later-20s and began N Scale. I would tinker around from time-to-time with it but mainly stored it.

Fast forward to now, my son is 7 and has always shown major interest in trains. He has been very responsible with school and chores so he picked out a Bachmann HO Canyon Chief Set. We have been having a good time running my old N Scale and his new HO scale.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I am Kellen from Riverside, California. I have been into model trains since the late '80s when I as a kid. My first set was a G-Scale Playmobil Set and subsequently used LGB products with it. Once I got into my teenage years I got way more interested in cars and put trains to the side until I got into my later-20s and began N Scale. I would tinker around from time-to-time with it but mainly stored it.

Fast forward to now, my son is 7 and has always shown major interest in trains. He has been very responsible with school and chores so he picked out a Bachmann HO Canyon Chief Set. We have been having a good time running my old N Scale and his new HO scale.

Kellen;

Welcome to the forum! It's great that you and your son are sharing this wonderful hobby. I have a five-year-old grandson who is totally daffy about trains. I recently built a 6' x 3' N-scale layout for him. He helped too and I'm surprised at how well he does with the N-scale trains. He and his family live a couple hours away, but sometimes he comes to stay with my wife and I for a weekend, and he and I work on his railroad together. Do you have, or plan to make a permanent layout for yourself, your son, or both? If you have any questions just ask, and you will get plenty of help.

Have Fun!

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

John
Hi everyone,

John
Greetings from Do'c, It has been quite awhile since I was here but looking for an American Flyer "S" Gauge home brought me back.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Greetings from SC,
It has been about 7 years since I was here and having expanded my A.C. Gilbert collection I wanted to find a home that still likes S Gauge. I hope to spend many hours here sharing my efforts with servicing, repairing & restoring, making reproductions and collecting American Flyer trains and accessories. I'm sure I will be fumbling around the forums making some mistakes in form and function. Jethro me in the correction direction when its required. Endeavor to Persevere.
Doc'

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum and the hobby. Started in N scale modeling a few months ago. I had a play HO set when I was a kid - anyone remember a Tyco Spirit of '76? So, 40+ years later I've decided this would be a fun hobby for retirement (still a few years away). I decided I wanted to do the New York Central in 1962. I grew up in Syracuse and my Grandfather worked on the NYC as a fireman. I am a transplant to NoVA after a 25 year career in the Army and now work at the Department of Energy. The technology available today is really awesome for model RRs too.

Dave

8041 - 8060 of 8107 Posts