Model Train Forum banner

8061 - 8080 of 8107 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to the forum.. Live in Northern Ireland. Here to try and get some info on some Lima trains my uncle gave me over 25years ago

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum and the hobby. Started in N scale modeling a few months ago. I had a play HO set when I was a kid - anyone remember a Tyco Spirit of '76? So, 40+ years later I've decided this would be a fun hobby for retirement (still a few years away). I decided I wanted to do the New York Central in 1962. I grew up in Syracuse and my Grandfather worked on the NYC as a fireman. I am a transplant to NoVA after a 25 year career in the Army and now work at the Department of Energy. The technology available today is really awesome for model RRs too.

Dave

Dave;

Welcome to the forum! We have a few things in common. I was born and raised in Rochester N.Y. not far from Syracuse. My grandfather was an engineer running steam locomotives on the New York Central.
Now I live in San Diego, CA. I model part of the Milwaukee Road near Seattle, WA. in the 1920s. I picked the Milwaukee because I like electric locomotives, and they had some great ones.
My N-scale layout is a "bookshelf model railroad" design I copied from an old article in Model Railroader Magazine. The layout has my collection of train books on the top shelf, and the railroad on the next two levels down. Storage shelves are under that.
It occupies two walls of my "California basement" (a.k.a. garage.) That's the price we Californians pay for mild sunny winters, no basements.
Since you say you're new to the hobby, I've attached a bunch of files I wrote for "newbies" planning their first railroad. Look through them if you like. They may provide some information that will help you with designing and building your own layout.

Good Luck & Have Fun

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
New to the forum.. Live in Northern Ireland. Here to try and get some info on some Lima trains my uncle gave me over 25years ago

Retep1892;

Welcome to the forum! What scale are the Lima trains you have? Do you plan to build a layout for them? Are they based on European trains? We have members from many countries around the world, so if you need advice about some European trains, some of our members may be able to help. If they are American prototype trains, then you'll have even more potential help. Ask whatever questions you like. Once you have 5 posts, you will be able to attach photos of the Lima trains you need advice about, which will be a great help to us. Directions for attaching photos are at the beginning of the "Forum News, Updates, and Help" section of this forum.

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings from Port Richey, Florida!

My girlfriend and I are going to be building our first ever model railroad layout. We've bought hobby stuff together, so I guess it is pretty serious ;-)

We will be building a VERY basic 4x8 foot layout, on which we intend to learn enough to build a more complex and larger layout.

We bought our first model kit (Bella's Farmhouse from Model Power) at Zitnik Trains in Pinellas Park, this week. Super helpful, great local shop!

Our intent is to blog about it on Facebook, and here, as well. We named our FB page "That looks like crap", because we want to normalize sucking at new things, and getting better over time.

Our FB page for this project

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings from Port Richey, Florida!

My girlfriend and I are going to be building our first ever model railroad layout. We've bought hobby stuff together, so I guess it is pretty serious ;-)

We will be building a VERY basic 4x8 foot layout, on which we intend to learn enough to build a more complex and larger layout.

We bought our first model kit (Bella's Farmhouse from Model Power) at Zitnik Trains in Pinellas Park, this week. Super helpful, great local shop!

Our intent is to blog about it on Facebook, and here, as well. We named our FB page "That looks like crap", because we want to normalize sucking at new things, and getting better over time.

Our FB page for this project
Forgot to mention: HO scale.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Forgot to mention: HO scale.
Greg & unnamed girlfriend;

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry about not Knowing much about model railroading yet. You're just starting out. A bunch of us have been involved with model railroading for most of our lives, and we don't know everything about it either. 😄 Nobody on this forum is going to pick on you for not knowing something. We're here to help you, not pick on you. Your idea of starting out with a 4 x 8 is very common. Most of us started out that way. While there are a few advantages, There are also some built in limits to building in HO-scale, on the traditional 4' x 8' sheet of plywood. You won't be able to fit much more than a simple oval of track, two concentric ovals, or an oval around a figure eight. That may not matter to you, and that's OK. On your railroad, your rules are the only ones that apply. If you're having fun, that's all that matters.
HO-scale typically uses 18" radius curves, or 22" radius curves. The 18" is a bit too tight for some longer cars and locomotives but will work OK with shorter rolling stock. The 22" will accommodate longer equipment, but it just barely fits onto a four foot wide table. It would be smart to add a little extra width, if you can, for these curves. Since you want things simple, as a learning layout, there are loads of track plans online to fit on a 4' x 8' table.

The files below are some I wrote specifically for people who are designing their first layout. They have lots of information on a variety of model railroad topics. Look through them if you like. You might also benefit from a good beginner's book on this hobby. An excellent one is "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson. It can be ordered through that train store you like, or from www.amazon.com

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, Traction Fan! I read a couple of your excellent pdfs before posting, and I am grateful for them.

We are both as much interested in modeling miniature buildings and landscapes as we are trains...So the simplicity constraint is fine for us, for now. We intend to use the first layout as a test bed for methods and learning, then move on to a bigger layout if we both maintain our interest.

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I'm BRAND NEW, as of yesterday, to the model train hobby! My son is turning 6, and is absolutely OBSESSED over trains! He has autism and really lights up when he plays with his toy trains or even passes by the rail yard while he's in the car heading to school in the morning.

For awhile we've stuck to Thomas and other toys because he's just been too young to properly appreciate an advanced model train set. For his birthday we finally got him the HO scale "Rail Chief" set by Bachmann at the local Hobby Lobby. He's at the point where he doesn't "play" with his toy trains, he just likes to turn them on and watch them go around the tracks. I'm really excited to get into this with him! I think creating a realistic layout and making additions to it with him through the years will bring us even closer together!

That being said, my name is Nick and I am from Maine. I didn't realize until yesterday just how many great train modeling stores we have here in my state! I will definitely have quite a few questions along the way!

Glad to be here on this forum!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi everyone, good to be here.
Over the years in this hobby, I've had some false-start layouts from N scale to G - a true rubber-gauger.
I've always leaned towards O scale, but several years ago I got the 3-rail bug through a Polar Express set bought for the Christmas tree. I'll be honest, I was one of those who looked down my nose at 3-rail but will admit to latent tin-platish tendencies
After some collecting I'm now at the ugly layout/piles of material stage and doing the first test runs - improvement will come...

Dave W.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Thanks, Traction Fan! I read a couple of your excellent pdfs before posting, and I am grateful for them.

We are both as much interested in modeling miniature buildings and landscapes as we are trains...So the simplicity constraint is fine for us, for now. We intend to use the first layout as a test bed for methods and learning, then move on to a bigger layout if we both maintain our interest.

Greg
Greg;

That sounds like a sensible plan.

You will find that scale model buildings can be expensive. There are several types. The most common, and generally the "lowest" of those high prices are plastic structures.
You can buy them as kits which you assemble just like a plastic model of anything else, planes, cars, ships, whatever. Some of the plastic structures are also available "built up" with no assembly required, and a higher price tag. Not much learning potential in just buying something that's already made though.

The next group are wood model structures. These may be "laser cut" or "craftsman kits." The laser cut models have lots of small details in them' I built a laser kit that had individual rafters to support the roof, for example. These kits come with the parts cut almost clear through some very thin model plywood. Typically you just cut a few remaining tabs to free the parts. Everything is numbered and pre-notched, so the kits go together fairly easily. Laser cut kits are a good learning step between plastic kits and craftsman kits. The craftsman kits have every detail you can imagine! There are often many cast metal details of things like fire hydrants, or machinery that are not part of the actual building. You are really building a highly detailed, entire "scene" rather than just a structure. These craftsman kits are quite expensive, there limited runs mean that they sell out very quickly, and are much harder to put together. They do look great when finished well.

The last group is scratchbuilt structures. Despite a reputation for being very difficult, requiring special tools, etc. scratchbuilding is actually quite easy, and much cheaper if you're building more that one or two structures. The attached file "Model Railroading on a Budget", has more info on scratchbuilding structures and scenery, using common lower cost materials. The photos show some of my scratchbuilt N-scale structures. Granted I've been doing this for decades, but if you start out with a simple structure, you can scratchbuild something unique, on your first try.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hello,

I'm BRAND NEW, as of yesterday, to the model train hobby! My son is turning 6, and is absolutely OBSESSED over trains! He has autism and really lights up when he plays with his toy trains or even passes by the rail yard while he's in the car heading to school in the morning.

For awhile we've stuck to Thomas and other toys because he's just been too young to properly appreciate an advanced model train set. For his birthday we finally got him the HO scale "Rail Chief" set by Bachmann at the local Hobby Lobby. He's at the point where he doesn't "play" with his toy trains, he just likes to turn them on and watch them go around the tracks. I'm really excited to get into this with him! I think creating a realistic layout and making additions to it with him through the years will bring us even closer together!

That being said, my name is Nick and I am from Maine. I didn't realize until yesterday just how many great train modeling stores we have here in my state! I will definitely have quite a few questions along the way!

Glad to be here on this forum!
Vic;

Welcome to the forum! Sharing this hobby with your young son will be a great experience for both of you! I recently built a small N-scale layout with my 5 year old grandson, who is also "train-obsessed" (Aren't we all. 😄) It was fantastic fun for both of us, and there's still plenty to do, the next time he can visit.

The files below are some I wrote for new modelers starting their first layout. They have a lot of information on many model railroad subjects. While some of it may not apply to your situation now, other parts, particularly the first file, "Where do I start" probably will. Look through them if you like, and feel free to ask questions here on the forum.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hi everyone, good to be here.
Over the years in this hobby, I've had some false-start layouts from N scale to G - a true rubber-gauger.
I've always leaned towards O scale, but several years ago I got the 3-rail bug through a Polar Express set bought for the Christmas tree. I'll be honest, I was one of those who looked down my nose at 3-rail but will admit to latent tin-platish tendencies
After some collecting I'm now at the ugly layout/piles of material stage and doing the first test runs - improvement will come...

Dave W.
Firewood;

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't already done so, check out our O-scale forum. Lots of three-rail types over there with tons of experience.

Good Luck & Have Fun

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you haven't already done so, check out our O-scale forum. Lots of three-rail types over there with tons of experience.

Good Luck & Have Fun

Traction Fan 🙂

Thanks Traction Fan, much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vic;

Welcome to the forum! Sharing this hobby with your young son will be a great experience for both of you! I recently built a small N-scale layout with my 5 year old grandson, who is also "train-obsessed" (Aren't we all. 😄) It was fantastic fun for both of us, and there's still plenty to do, the next time he can visit.

The files below are some I wrote for new modelers starting their first layout. They have a lot of information on many model railroad subjects. While some of it may not apply to your situation now, other parts, particularly the first file, "Where do I start" probably will. Look through them if you like, and feel free to ask questions here on the forum.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂
Thank you very much, traction fan!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all! New member here from Kraków, Poland. I've dabbled with trains for a while but never really got anywhere with it. I am getting a new/vintage train set and going to be making it into something I will be proud of :) will have quite a few questions!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hello all! New member here from Kraków, Poland. I've dabbled with trains for a while but never really got anywhere with it. I am getting a new/vintage train set and going to be making it into something I will be proud of :) will have quite a few questions!
Welcome to the forum! The files attached may help you in planning and building a layout. Look through them if you like.

Good Luck & Have Fun;\

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Visited Łask (Lask if that L doesn't come out right) but stayed in Łódź (Lodz). Beautiful, beautiful country. Hope to visit again for leisure with my wife. Certainly a lot of trains to model. Welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone my name is Mike I am from Germany but I live in Florida and I am very new to and scale railroading my skill level is below that of an entry-level but I have purchased a couple busted layouts and made the attempt to rebuild them one is complete the other one is not. I have been purchasing equipment that I see online anything I can get my hands on.
I am looking forward to any input be greatly appreciated right now I’m studying under the University of YouTube for different problems that I’ve been finding. And I’m trying to understand the site on how to set a picture into my profile to no avail so any help would be greatly appreciated.
there’s an honor meeting you all and thank you for any input
mike köing

8061 - 8080 of 8107 Posts