Model Train Forum banner
8201 - 8220 of 8243 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rdwarrior;

Welcome to the forum!
If you have any specific questions about DCC I suggest you ask them on our DCC section of this forum, as there are plenty of DCC experts over there. More general questions about model railroad topics can be asked anywhere on this forum.
To learn about DCC in general, I highly recommend the book "Basic DCC wiring" by Mike Polsgrove. It covers the subject quite well in simple, easy to understand, text and many color photos that show how to add a DCC decoder to a locomotive, how to wire a layout for DCC, and shows some of the DCC controllers, and accessories, available. You can order a copy from www.amazon.com or your local train store, if you have one.
In the meantime, you might want to look through the files below. I wrote them for new model railroaders planning a layout. While you're not new, you might still find some useful info in them.
One particular concern you might have in a Florida garage is high humidity. It can warp the wood in a layout unless precautions like making as much of the wooden part as 'L'-girders, and painting, or sealing, all the wood. High humidity can also play hob with the metal rails and wheels, causing them to be coated with oxide deposits that can interfere with electrical conduction between rails and wheels. Do you have a dehumidifier, or air conditioner in your garage? Although I live in dryer Southern California, we still have high temperatures in the summer, so I have an air conditioner in my garage, which is where my own model railroad resides. Another humidity resistant material is extruded foam insulation board. This is the hard pink, blue, or green foam you may find at Home Depot, or Lowes. Today this is commonly used for a layout base, sometimes without plywood under it. Being plastic, it won't warp like wood. It can be carved to make riverbeds or street underpasses, and stacked & glued to form hills.

Good Luck & Have Fun

Traction Fan 🙂
Thanks for all the info, Traction Fan. I am new to this, and will take a look at all your files.
I looked at the Topics on the forum before I joined, and missed the section. I will direct my problem to them. My problem is not the wiring of the layout. I did that "by the book" all the way. My problem occurs when changing the address of my DCC locomotives. maybe that group can help.
I have only been in this hobby since the beginnings of Covid-19 last March, and constantly learning new stuff.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Thanks for all the info, Traction Fan. I am new to this, and will take a look at all your files.
I looked at the Topics on the forum before I joined, and missed the section. I will direct my problem to them. My problem is not the wiring of the layout. I did that "by the book" all the way. My problem occurs when changing the address of my DCC locomotives. maybe that group can help.
I have only been in this hobby since the beginnings of Covid-19 last March, and constantly learning new stuff.
Rdwarior;

You're quite welcome, I hope you find some things that will help you. Do you already have a layout that you have "wired by the book"? What brand of DCC system do you have? I'm sure someone on our DCC forum can help you if we know the brand and model of DCC controller. For example "Digitrax zephyr", or "NCE Powercab."

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
Changing the address of a DCC loco is a very
simple procedure, but the 'how to' varies from
one make controller to the next. You should
find the directions in the manual that came with
your controller...but if that isn't helpful...give us
the make and model of your DCC controller and
one of our members who uses that system will
walk you thru the procedure.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

Please respond to this thread and introduce yourself!

John
Hello all,
I am retired now and have recently set up my old Lionel O27 trains from my childhood days that I have hauled around the country for the last 40 years! I have been going through all of the trains and accessories, cleaning and lubing them. I got a layout on-line and went to work getting it working. I have run into the usual issues of replacing broken knuckle springs, cleaning commutator brushes, etc. Now I have run into another issue with a couple of Lionel 1122 switches. After cleaning and lubing them up and getting them working properly with the non-derailing feature, they do not want to stay in place, particularly in the straight position, and want to slowly drift towards the curved position. They will eventually drift so far as to create a derailment. Does this mean the switch motor is bad? It does work in both directions. Too much lube? I was careful not to overdo it. Worn out? Is there any way to fix this? Just wondering as I am new to the hobby and am still learning all the little tricks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Dave A.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Hello all,
I am retired now and have recently set up my old Lionel O27 trains from my childhood days that I have hauled around the country for the last 40 years! I have been going through all of the trains and accessories, cleaning and lubing them. I got a layout on-line and went to work getting it working. I have run into the usual issues of replacing broken knuckle springs, cleaning commutator brushes, etc. Now I have run into another issue with a couple of Lionel 1122 switches. After cleaning and lubing them up and getting them working properly with the non-derailing feature, they do not want to stay in place, particularly in the straight position, and want to slowly drift towards the curved position. They will eventually drift so far as to create a derailment. Does this mean the switch motor is bad? It does work in both directions. Too much lube? I was careful not to overdo it. Worn out? Is there any way to fix this? Just wondering as I am new to the hobby and am still learning all the little tricks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Dave A.
Dave A;

Welcome to the forum!

You might want to re-post this over on our O-scale forum. There are a whole lot of Lionel experts (which I am not) over there. A switch or "turnout" performs the same function in any scale though. If you are not able to get a better answer over on the O-scale forum, you might consider this. Many turnouts have their points held firmly in the selected position with a "bistable" spring. Such a spring is extended, and stable, in either of two outer positions. These positions correspond to the two routes through the switch. The spring is compressed, and unstable anywhere in the area between the two end positions.

Peco, and Micro Engineering turnouts in HO & N scales, have such a spring built in. Its also possible to make your own simple, cheap, spring from a short piece of music wire with a bend in it. On two -rail track this homemade spring is inserted in a hole in the throwbar of the turnout/switch and another hole drilled through one of the ties. The holes are a tiny bit too close to each other for the spring to fit, without being compressed . Thus, the spring tends to keep the points set tightly against the running rail on whichever route you have selected.
Now even I, a humble N-scaler, know that Lionel has three-rail track, so you will need a different location for a spring. Possibly it will fit outside the rails and/or inside the Lionel switch machine that moves the points. All this is very generic, and may not be the best way to go with a Lionel switch. Hopefully you will get a more pertinent answer from our O-scale forum members.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dave A;

Welcome to the forum! You might want to re-post this over on our O-scale forum. There are a whole lot of Lionel experts (which I am not) over there. a switch or turnout performs the same function in any scale though. If you are not able to get a better answer over on the O-scale forum, you might consider this. Many turnouts have their points held firmly in the selected position with a "bistable" spring. Such a spring is extended and happy in either of two positions. These correspond to the two routes through the switch. The spring is compressed and unhappy in the middle position, it does not want to stay there. Peco, and Micro Engineering turnouts in HO & N scales, have such a spring built in. Its also possible to make your own simple cheap spring from a short piece of music wire with a bend in it. On two -rail track this homemade spring is inserted in a hole in the throwbar of the turnout/switch and another hole drilled through one of the ties. The holes are a tiny bit too close to each other for the spring to fit, without being compressed . Thus, the spring tends to keep the points set tightly against the running rail on whichever route you have selected. Now Lionel has three-rail track, so you will need a different location for a spring. Possibly it will fit outside the rails and/or inside the Lionel switch machine that moves the points. All this is true, and will work, but its also very generic and may not be the best way to go with a Lionel switch. Hopefully you will get a more pertinent answer from our O-scale forum members. I'm an N-scaler, so I don't know anything about the inner mechanical workings of a Lionel switch machine.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂
Thanks for your input and help. I'll see if someone on the O scale forum might have any suggestions that would work. Thanks again! Dave A.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

John
Hi all,
my name is Menno (TrainDutchman). I’m resurrecting my marklin m track HO train set from when I was a boy ( 1970 ties) in the Netherlands, now living in Vermont USA.
I’m looking forward setting it up and upgrading my layout from the very simple kids layout I once had. Particular more “ advanced” analog features such as remote switches and home signals.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Welcome Menno.

Your best supplier for in-stock availability, time en-route, and price is still overseas at Modellbahn Shop-Lippe in Deutschland. They have become my main supplier of train equipment over the last two years.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Hi all,
my name is Menno (TrainDutchman). I’m resurrecting my marklin m track HO train set from when I was a boy ( 1970 ties) in the Netherlands, now living in Vermont USA.
I’m looking forward setting it up and upgrading my layout from the very simple kids layout I once had. Particular more “ advanced” analog features such as remote switches and home signals.
TrainDutchman;

Welcome to the forum!

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

John
Hi everyone,

John
Good morning everybody. my name is Jan and in my previous life I was a train engineer on diesel locomotives in Czech Republic for 20 years. I loved the job. When I moved to Canada 30 years ago I started on my first layout and not surprisingly it is a version of the tracks I know best. Ten years later I scrapped it and based on experience with the first I built a new one, more sophisticated and also more serviceable. I am producing my own locomotives - fitting Czech epoxy bodies on North American chassis. My layout is analogue - so I usually went to train show armed with a ruler and bought a loco for its dimensions. Shows are on pause for time being so I would like to ask you for help. I need a four axle locomotive H0 which has distance between centres of boogies 91.5 mm or 3 5/8". Would you know which type could it be? Tolerance plus or minus 1.5 mm or 1/16" is OK. Thank you Jan

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Did you work for CD Cargo? Did you operate the T478 or Class 754 locomotives? Or maybe the Class T448?

I don't have any ideas for you other than to say the T448 looks a lot like the old GP9. That chassis might work for you if you are building one of the T448's.

The EffiShunter 1000 is a lot like ÖBB's 1063/1064 electric shunter/road locomotive. Three axle trucks too.

The Roco 73798 M62 Diesel could be repainted in Czech livery as the 781.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hi Jan:
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see MichaelE came in. He’s the resident Euro train guy.
I checked all my four axle diesels. None are even close. The Athearn Blue Box GP 9 (7) is 105 mm.
Hope you can find a match. Look forward to seeing your work.
Dan

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I guess the GP9 chassis won't work. Almost a 15mm difference is a lot in HO.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I Survived . . .

Since I last made a post I've had to buy a wheelchair, had a silent heart attack and two angioplasties; but I'm still among the living and hopefully among the modelling soon enough. Nothing fancy (an n scale loop on a 2' by 2' board), but today I ordered a Bachmann 0-6-0 for my primary locomotive.

Reactions: Chaostrain

·
Registered
823 Posts
Very sorry to hear. Glad you are recovering.
It’s a reminder to all of us that life can change instantly and to savor every minute of health and happiness we have.
Hopefully the hobby will be a good resource for you to keep your spirits up.
Hope you continue to a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I Survived . . .

Since I last made a post I've had to buy a wheelchair, had a silent heart attack and two angioplasties; but I'm still among the living and hopefully among the modelling soon enough. Nothing fancy (an n scale loop on a 2' by 2' board), but today I ordered a Bachmann 0-6-0 for my primary locomotive.
GNfan;

Welcome back, glad you made it! I'm very sorry to hear about your serious health problems, and very glad you survived them. Maybe that little N-scale layout will be just the thing to keep you going.

regards;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi everyone,

John

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've not been on a Social forum in over 7 years [ I do not use facebook ] - so here it goes
I'm located in Florida I collect build and do restorations I go by my nick name AKA "Charlie" That started some years back a train thing - Long story for another day
I collect - buy - trade and restore trains and other items : clocks and watches
I'm in the over the hill club - a big kid who never grew up - and - never will
Yes , I play with trains and my little dog - a Maltese sits at the controls and hangs out - yep a dog who actually likes trains - you ask her if she wants to test trains - she gets all wound up [ never once taking off with them ]
trying to keep this short - I will try to respond in evenings when I get a chance
Ride The Rails
Charlie

8201 - 8220 of 8243 Posts