Model Train Forum banner
8221 - 8240 of 8243 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have a small ish N scale loop. All KATO track, have (all kato) a ACS-64 and SD70ACe as locomotives. My Amtrak set has 3 Amfleet coaches, a cafe and a Viewliner I sleeper. For freight cars I have 5 althern bethgon coalporters and 4 Bachmann 4 bay grain hoppers

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, I have a small ish N scale loop. All KATO track, have (all kato) a ACS-64 and SD70ACe as locomotives. My Amtrak set has 3 Amfleet coaches, a cafe and a Viewliner I sleeper. For freight cars I have 5 althern bethgon coalporters and 4 Bachmann 4 bay grain hoppers
Welcome Aboard The Wild West Express
Ride The Rails
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzewwwww...png

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

Please respond to this thread and introduce yourself!

John
My name is Michael, and my grandfather was an engineer on the C&O's George Washington. More about that some other time.
My reason for joining is that I am trying to locate Patrick Edwards who used to have a store in Franklin, Tennessee called Southern Bound Trains. Can anyone help my find my friend? Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey everyone! My name is Dale. My reason for joining is selfish promotion of my website, where I sell the resin model railroad parts that I make. I wont spam it here. I already did in the "Promotion" thread. 20 parts listed, hundreds more to go. :) I love trains. That's how I came into this world and that's how I'm going out. :) I will undoubtedly engage in many discussions here. I see many many interesting threads. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
It's a pleasure to welcome a new participant
in our group of model railroaders. By all means
join in where you can add some wisdom from
your experiences.

Don

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello everyone, not really a new member but wanted to say hi. Getting back in the hobby after a nearly 10 year hiatus. Many life changes over the past decade led me to abandon the hobby but getting back into it now that I have a space to utilize. Looking forward to rolling some stock and building a new layout. This forum was a great asset to begin back in 2012 and look forward to sharing experiences and exploring opportunities going forward.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Hello everyone, not really a new member but wanted to say hi. Getting back in the hobby after a nearly 10 year hiatus. Many life changes over the past decade led me to abandon the hobby but getting back into it now that I have a space to utilize. Looking forward to rolling some stock and building a new layout. This forum was a great asset to begin back in 2012 and look forward to sharing experiences and exploring opportunities going forward.
Taxman7735;

Welcome back to the forum!
Can you tell us a little about your planned layout? How much space do you now have? What scale will you be modeling in? Do you have a particular or location that you would particularly like to model? As an example, my own layout occupies two walls of my garage. It's N-scale, and based very loosely on the Milwaukee Road's activity in the Seattle, Wash. area in the 1920s.

Again, welcome back;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m Jack. I now live in Hudson Florida. It’s to hot here. Wish I had stayed in Indianapolis. I’ve been running O Gauge trains sense I was a little kid. Got my first O gauge in 1946. A Lionel 224. My dad got it for me for Christmas however two days later my mom had to remind dad it was to be mine. He was the best dad in the world!. I’ve been on this forum before but not sense 2012.

I have made another O gauge layout on my Garage. Been spending allot of time there trying to avoid CV-19. Got interested in Lionel prewar 1700 streamliner’s. Anyway Hello to everyone. Nothing like a good dog, hot coffee, bear claw and trains in the morning!

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
PJdog

Glad to have you back...be sure to visit our 0 scale forum where
a merry band of experienced 3 railers are anxious to help you
enjoy your hobby.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

Please respond to this thread and introduce yourself!

John
My name is Greg and I am trying to help my mother in law begin the process of cleaning out her home as she is now in assisted living. My father in law passed away in 2016 and left behind several of his childhood toys. I recently came across a train set in a cardboard box he stored in his garage that has no readily identifiable markings for determining the who, what, where, and when regarding it. I was hoping to find someone who can shed some light on the maker and vintage of the train.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My name is Greg and I am trying to help my mother in law begin the process of cleaning out her home as she is now in assisted living. My father in law passed away in 2016 and left behind several of his childhood toys. I recently came across a train set in a cardboard box he stored in his garage that has no readily identifiable markings for determining the who, what, where, and when regarding it. I was hoping to find someone who can shed some light on the maker and vintage of the train. View attachment 563174
BTW I was able to find on the transformer Luis Marx & Co. and Model 709, which maybe is 1940's vintage set. These pieces were in the box along with the transformer and train track.

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
Yes, you have a Louis Marx Electric train. It has suffered some corrosion
...the black New York Central 'tender' which always is attached to
the locomotive has lost it's wheels, as has the Texaco tank car. I
feel certain those wheels could easily be replaced. You could probably
clean the track rails, apply some light oil to the gears and bearings
of the loco, then connect the Transformer to the center and one
side rail, and see if it runs. If so, you'll find that powering down the
track and repowering will cause the loco to reverse. You might try
and see. This train probably sold for 6 or 7 dollars or so in the
early 40s. Perhaps someone in the 0 scale forum would have knowledge
of any current value. Be aware that thousands of little boys were hoping
to find an electric train like this (me among them) under the tree on
Christmas morning back then.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, you have a Louis Marx Electric train. It has suffered some corrosion
...the black New York Central 'tender' which always is attached to
the locomotive has lost it's wheels, as has the Texaco tank car. I
feel certain those wheels could easily be replaced. You could probably
clean the track rails, apply some light oil to the gears and bearings
of the loco, then connect the Transformer to the center and one
side rail, and see if it runs. If so, you'll find that powering down the
track and repowering will cause the loco to reverse. You might try
and see. This train probably sold for 6 or 7 dollars or so in the
early 40s. Perhaps someone in the 0 scale forum would have knowledge
of any current value. Be aware that thousands of little boys were hoping
to find an electric train like this (me among them) under the tree on
Christmas morning back then.

Don
Thanks Don. I took a loose wheel I found in the box a year ago trying to locate them on line with no luck. Need wheels and axle for those in the pic. Father in law born 1931 and I in 1954 so very much aware many were probably built and worth whatever someone willing to pay to complete a collection. Any proceeds received goes towards my MIL care. I need to replace the transformer power cord dried out after all these years like I did for his erector set before selling. I wish I knew the story behind the set because it’s more value to me as his son in law. As you can imagine I have many irons in the fire trying to deal with taking care of my MIL’s home and handling my home. I want to fix everything because like you I didn’t come from a throw away era. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Taxman7735;

Welcome back to the forum!
Can you tell us a little about your planned layout? How much space do you now have? What scale will you be modeling in? Do you have a particular or location that you would particularly like to model? As an example, my own layout occupies two walls of my garage. It's N-scale, and based very loosely on the Milwaukee Road's activity in the Seattle, Wash. area in the 1920s.

Again, welcome back;

Traction Fan 🙂
I have a spare bedroom I'll convert to utilize for a 4x8 layout for O gauge. Exploring ideas on Thor's Trains but was thinking about a rural to industrial type layout. Just beginning to unpack my old train stuff so I'm sure I'll be needing to pick up additional items to work with. I had to part ways with a substantial amount of my collection due to storage limitations the past few years.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
Chicub

Try looking around on Ebay for 4 wheel Marx cars like
yours, add them or replace the missing wheels. Craigslist
'toys and games' or 'collectibles' could bring forth a
broker or dealer who might have wheels or Marx cars.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chicub

Try looking around on Ebay for 4 wheel Marx cars like
yours, add them or replace the missing wheels. Craigslist
'toys and games' or 'collectibles' could bring forth a
broker or dealer who might have wheels or Marx cars.

Don
I have seen some metal wheels for sale on EBay listed as 3/4, 15/16, and even 1 inch but suspect they are all 15/16 for this gauge train? Is that a correct statement?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,566 Posts
I have seen some metal wheels for sale on EBay listed as 3/4, 15/16, and even 1 inch but suspect they are all 15/16 for this gauge train? Is that a correct statement?
3 of the cars are American flyer O, the 1127 Caboose, circa 1932.
The Locomotive? Does it run?

8221 - 8240 of 8243 Posts